For the record.  There never was an attempt by the October League or the CPML to "take over" SftP.  There was a caucus within SftP "The Unity Caucus" of diverse persons who wanted SftP to take an explicit anti-capitalist, more-or-less Marxist position.  I was a leading member of that group (It was not a group of "outsiders."  For example I was the convenor of the first meeting of SftP when it tansformed from SESPA and the one who with Britta Fischer produced the first issue of the magazine).  Some of the members of that caucus resolved that, if SftP would not move to where the caucus thought it should go, they would join a "revolutionary" group and leave SftP.  That is why the Unity Caucus more-or-less disappeared.  I certainly believe today that it was ill-advised for the persons who participated in the Unity Caucus, myself included, to manifest their need to be associated with a "revolutionary" group by attempting to transform SftP.  To the best of my recollection about 1/2 dozen participants in the Unity Caucus did become members of the October League, myself included.  That was after the struggle in SftP and resulted in many of those persons taking on factory jobs, leaving the organization, and dropping their focus on Science.  (Note that by leaving science to work in factories, persons who could have increased the radical presence in science did not.)

Science for the People came into existence through the radicalizing transformation of SESPA, an organization of scientists (and very few engineers), brought about by the infusion of  angry students in the Boston area (notably Al Weinrub, Larry Beeferman, David Jhirad.  It had in its ranks many non-scientists who rallied to the call for science for the people.  One of its programs was TAP (Technical Assistance Project) which among other things helped the Black Panthers in setting up health clinics etc.  It also worked at unionizing technicians.  The work of breaking down the barriers betweeen scientists and non-scentists and having non-scientists actively participating ceased to be a main focus after the departure of the persons associated with the Unity Caucus.  Notable exceptions were the work of George Salzman and Maurice Bazin (who continues to work with indigenous people in Brazil) and the work of Jon Beckwith with public school teachers.  It appears to me that in the end SftP became more of an organization of scientists communicating with scientists and mainly a publisher of the magazine.

There is a lesson here for the present discussion on this list serve.  The "revolutionary fervor" and insistence on a narrowed set of principles by the Unity Caucus and the almost inevitable split of that substantial group of persons away from the organization upset the balance that could have maintained a broader organization.  The transformation of society requires a transformation of consciousness that eventually becomes dominant in the majority of the population.  That is a very long process that cannot be brought about by shouting radical ideas that are alien and alienating to the very persons that must become the transformers of society.  What is needed is an active organization with a broad base united around a minimum set of principles that can and will become more focussed and radical over time, but only because the whole organization moves towards a more radical analysis as the collective experience teaches its necessity.  The problem with the pissing contests on this listserve is not that people make ad hominem attacks or any similar critique; it is that the listserve become less and less relevant to the task that all must unite around, namely, the building through struggle of a critical consciousness among all the people.  Our special responsibility is to contribute according to our particular capability, namely, science.  That is not happening for the most part.  Apparently most of us express our political conscience by participating in other organizations.  It saddens me that there is no active, broad-based SftP organization.  Were there one, the discussion on this list serve would be quite different. I am confident that there will be such an organization in the not-too-distant future; but it does not appear likely that we on this listserve will be its initiators. More likely a bunch of young people struggling to realize science fo the people will look at us for what we are in the main--an ineffective bunch of nit-pickers who are committed more to what is correct science than to organizing to make the transformations in society that will result in science serving all the people.
herb fox

PS.
I am not one who is going to quit the listserve or block out any participant; I find it very entertaining and do learn things from it.
h f

Carrol Cox wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Eric Entemann wrote:

later by some members of the
October League, soon to become CPML, who were in the Boston chapter of SftP
(and elsewhere, I would suppose).  Those were quite contentious times.  SftP
did outlive the CPML.

That's a new bit of information for me. The CPML was a mixed bag. They
could be pretty obnoxious, but there were also some very good people in
the organization.

Carrol