There are many other hypotheses that intitially seem much more plausible
than various pet hobby horses. --PG

http://environment.newscientist.com/article/mg19325964.500-where-have-all-the-bees-gone.html\\

New Scientist Environment

Where have all the bees gone?

    * 22 March 2007
    * From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues
    * Michael Reilly

It is a vanishing on the scale of entire cities. Late in 2006, commercial
beekeepers in Florida began noticing alarming numbers of their bees had gone
missing. Bustling colonies, tens of thousands strong, were emptying in a
matter of days. Systematic searches for dead bees around the colonies mostly
drew a blank.

"Imagine waking one morning to find 80 per cent of the people in your
community are just gone," says May Berenbaum of the University of Illinois,
Urbana-Champaign.

Before long 22 states were reporting similar stories, raising fears that
bees were in serious trouble - potentially a big disaster for farmers since
bees pollinate crops worth $14 billion each year in the US.

There is no shortage of potential culprits; European honeybees make up the
vast majority of commercial stocks in the US and they are susceptible to
myriad viral and fungal blights and two forms of parasitic mites, one of
which wiped out about half of the American honeybee population in the 1980s.
Yet, in this instance, the precise cause of the sudden decline, dubbed
"colony collapse disorder", remains elusive. The pattern of disappearance
offers few clues, since CCD appears to be widespread and plagues
non-migrating colonies as well as those that are moved from place to place
to pollinate crops.

Berenbaum and another Illinois researcher, Gene Robinson, are trying to work
out whether pathogens or pesticides are behind CCD with the help of the
newly sequenced honeybee genome. "If it's a pathogen, genes related to
immune response would be over-expressed," says Berenbaum. "If the bees are
reacting to a pesticide, we'd expected to see up-regulation of
detoxification genes." Meanwhile, Nancy Ostiguy and researchers from
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, are looking for signs of a
new virus or fungus.

According to Marla Spivak of the University of Minnesota, St Paul, the
nature of the beekeeping industry itself could be adding to the problem. For
example, she says, in California, where bees are transported each year to
pollinate almond plantations, "there are about a half a million acres that
need pollination, but growers rent about a million bee colonies". Such high
density could create competitive stress for bee colonies. In their quest for
pollen and nectar, members of a single colony typically range over several
hectares. To avoid food shortages, beekeepers often supplement hive
production with high-fructose corn syrup, which may poison the bees if the
syrup is not properly prepared. Yet there is no evidence that CCD is related
to poisoning, which would typically lead to a faster and more localised
die-off.

Spivak also points out that many beekeepers weren't affected by this year's
disappearance, and no one is quite sure of the extent of CCD's impact since
the true number of bee colonies in the US is unknown. Perhaps the real
lesson from CCD, says Jerry Bromenshenk of the University of Montana, is
that standardised data about honeybees is not available to help researchers
determine if they are dealing with a new and potentially disastrous
pathogen.

Daniel Weaver, president of the American Beekeeping Federation, says that
between one-quarter and one-half of America's roughly 2000 commercial
keepers have reported losses that fit the description of CCD.

Despite the sketchy details, federal lawmakers have begun taking note of the
industry's plight. The House Agriculture Committee has scheduled a hearing
on CCD for 29 March at which Weaver, Berenbaum and members of the beekeeping
community are due to testify.

Weaver plans to ask the Department of Agriculture to double its funding for
the nation's four bee research labs; only $8 million out of a $93 billion
budget for US agriculture goes on bees. Spivak believes acknowledging that
commercial agriculture has to change its ways may be as important as any
extra funding. "It's an unsustainable system. The bees are really at the
base of a lot of agriculture and if they go tumbling down, what's going to
happen on top of that?"

From issue 2596 of New Scientist magazine, 22 March 2007, page 10-11