Friends (and ENEMIES!):

I received an announcement that I signed a "No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein" petition. It is totally fraudulent, i.e. based on falsehood. The e-mail† follows:

Subject: Signature Confirmation - No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein - 3207 - SWU1234
From: PetitionOnline <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], "Univ of Massachusetts at Boston - [log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

Dear George Salzman, PhD, Prof Emeritus, Physics Dept, Univ of Massachusetts at Boston - [log in to unmask],

This email message is sent to you from PetitionOnline.com to confirm your signature as "George Salzman, PhD, Prof Emeritus, Physics Dept, Univ of Massachusetts at Boston - [log in to unmask]" on the online petition:

†† "No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein"

hosted on the web by our free online petition service, at:

†† http://www.PetitionOnline.com/SWU1234/

Your signature on the petition is already complete, and there is no need
to reply to this message.

Your signature number for this petition is 3207.

At PetitionOnline.com, we host the petition you've signed, but we didn't
create it. If you would like to comment on the petition, or otherwise
communicate directly with the petition author, you can contact the author at:

†† Roz Rothstein, [log in to unmask]

††††† The entry of my forged signature appears in a page headed:
No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein
We endorse the No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein Petition to DePaul University Faculty and Leadership.
Read the No Tenure for Dr. Norman Finkelstein Petition

as follows:
3207 Name: George Salzman, PhD, Prof Emeritus, Physics Dept, Univ of Massachusetts at Boston - [log in to unmask]
Comments: Write directly to the President of DePaul, Dennis H. Holtschneider ([log in to unmask])

††††† Whoever is responsible for forging my adherence to this shameful petition ought to be identified. In my opinion it invalidates the entire dishonest effort to circulate lies and to smear Finkelstein with the intention of pressuring the DePaul University administration to deny his tenure.
††††† Rosalyn Rothstein should either
1) carry out a thorough search for other forged signatures taken from the petition, We Support A Fair Tenure Process for Dr. Norman Finkelstein, which is at http://www.petitiononline.com/nf200704/petition.html , and remove each forged signature, or
2) arrange with Petition Online to have her entire petition removed.
††††† I hope, Rosalyn, that, if you did not initiate the forgery, you will have enough common decency to respond to this e-mail from me, and not to take the position that even though you didn't do it, you welcome such forgeries as a windfall. And I hope that each of you who has signed the petition calling for a fair tenure process for Finkelstein will check to see if you have been fraudulently added to the 'no tenure' petition, and, if so, take appropriate action.
††††† There are several items on my website on the effort to stifle open honest discussion on the Israel-Palestine conflict. They are
1. A dangerous struggle to bury the truth
Truth, the greatest threat to the powerful† at: http://site.www.umb.edu/faculty/salzman_g/S2/2007-04-08.htm
2. Help prevent Harvardís Alan Dershowitz from
intervening in De Paul University to get
Norman G. Finkelstein fired
† at:
http://site.www.umb.edu/faculty/salzman_g/S2/2007-04-09.htm
3. Dershowitz vs. Finkelstein III
The real problem is much deeper.
James Petras and Bill Templer
are straightening me out
† at: http://site.www.umb.edu/faculty/salzman_g/S2/2007-04-04.htm

††††† Of course I am outraged at the calculated false depiction of my position on this issue.
Sincerely,
George

All comments and criticisms are welcome.††[log in to unmask]>

If you want to be off my e-mail list, please let me know.
If you want to be added, please write me with
your full name and e-mail address