It is not just bees; it is birds, frogs, bees, and many other species.

I've been reading about diminishing and mutating frog populations for almost
a decade now.

Birds are dying massively due to air pollution.  I spoke to a person who
visited a highly industrialized region of China and they said that birds
were falling out of the sky.

My own published research on SARS finds a very obvious air pollution
component, which UCLA confirmed 6 months later in their study.   The UCLA
study gained tremendous publicity throughout the world, but no publicity in
the US.

Similarly, West Nile virus epidemics are noted for massive bird die-offs,
yet there is an obvious air pollution component.  Of 22 West Nile virus
epidemics I've looked at, they all have oil refineries nearby and upwind.
The more oil refineries, the more directly upwind, the more intense the WNV
epidemic.

In Brigantine Park, NJ, circa 2000, there was massive geese mortality, with
these birds falling dead out of the sky.  The final diagnosis by DEC was
"unknown pathogen"  Toxicology studies were from the beginning "ruled out".
 A look at the Brigantine Park website finds pages that literally scream out
that air pollution was killing all kinds of wildlife in that park for years.
 Those pages were removed after the massive geese mortality.  That park is
at a crossroads of polluting industry from Delaware, New Jersey, NY and CT.
 It is the only federal park designated for a certain high air pollution
category (don't have the category name at this moment).

"Why only..." is a common, mislead perception of epidemics.

In NYC, during the "West Nile epidemic" bird die offs, newspapers asked "Why
only crows?"  It was never only crows.  It was many, many species, and it
most obviously began with finches throughout NYS in 1995 with the raising of
levels of Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) in gasoline (to 15%).  The ban
of this chemical began by the EPA at the height of the first "West Nile
virus" epidemic, July 27, 1999.

A die-off of house sparrows in Europe was traced, as a hypothesis, to
gasoline additives.  Statistical studies for WNV/pollution and the sparrows
too, are here:
www.geocities.com/noxot/wnvDBcty.htm

The massive die-off of humans in Europe in 2003, summer, was said to be from
a "heat-wave", however, months later, scientists were saying that it likely
was air pollution.

So I'd say that DU is a real contribution to an already tremendous poisoning
of our planet.  We need to recognize what's been happening to this planet
for the last 100 years, and deal with the severe political character of
epidemic diagnoses and industrial pollution.

-Jim West
www.geocities.com/harpub (polio critique)
www.geocities.com/noxot (west nile virus critique)

-------
other related questions: how much air does a bee pull thru its body? why
bees and not birds, or frogs, or swans, or geese, or ..., are there
larger than average bee die-offs in Iraq???? birds???? how localized
were the human effects in Iraq near munitions explosions? is there a
massive die-off of bacteria because the worldwide bacteria pool is now
exposed to DU???

Les

-----------------
Jonathan Campbell wrote:

> The health effects of DU concentration can be physically felt by
> affected soldiers. Is there any reason to expect that bees would be
> immune to internal radiation contamination?

it's been a while since i read the papers on DU, but i recall them
carefully analyzing the potential for ingestion of a DU particle as a
function of proximity to an ammunition "event". i do not recall any
suggestion that DU is "just out there" in these preliminary studies. so
i think you have to make a case that the globally averaged DU particle
concentrations are really that significant. and i doubt you can at this
point, since nobody collects such data, even if only near bee colonies,
if you get my "drift".

So get out your computer programs. Start releasing DU particles in Iraq
and several select places in your simulations. get your airborne
particulate "drift" codes up and running, and show us the
globally-averaged particulate density, for example. is the average
anywhere near the higher levels in Iraq?

BTW, does anyone know?:  if i drink water or eat foods with DU particles
embedded, does the DU get lodged inside me, or will i readily pass them
back out again? i would *guess* its passed out more readily.

i ask because if airborne DU is the only way for DU to become lodged
inside us (or bees), i suspect (guess) the airborne levels are NOT that
high globally to create such a bee problem.