From: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">Larry Romsted
To: [log in to unmask]" href="mailto:[log in to unmask]" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: when are appeals to authority ok?

Jonathan:

What about the structure I posted yesterday, March 31?  Dead silence on this suggestion so far.  Could be modified of course.

Larry Romsted

All:

I have been reading the exchanges on whether HIV=AIDS or not.  So far the discussion has been almost totally about the discussion and not about the evidence.  I, like probably others on this list, am not expert in this area of science nor will I be anytime soon.  I am an academic chemist working in colloid and surface chemistry and I too have to keep my "financial underpinnings" going just to continue to do my research—and to avoid (successfully so far) taking money from corporate interests.  Occupies much of my time and the remainder is devoted to anti war work.

Anyway, I would really appreciate a discussion about the scientific evidence supporting HIV=AIDS or HIV does not equal AIDS.  I cannot take the time to review and digest the literature on this question myself, but I would read with real interest a well written summary of the evidence that included critical sources (a few that are not too long) that support each position.

What I kept hearing from each side is: you go first and I will respond (I suspect hoping that the other side will not do the initial academic slogging).

So I recommend:

  1. Each side write a paper (5-10 pages with selected references, say max of 10) and submit the paper to the other side by an agreed upon date.
  2. Each side then write a response (2-3 pages) to the other and submit the paper and the response to the list at a later agreed upon date.
  3. The list digests the information, discusses and votes by some later agreed upon date.
  4. The strongest position (or a synthesis) becomes the position of "Science-for-the-People."

Good Idea?

Larry Romsted

(My response to both Michael Balter's and Larry Rolmstead's suggestion)

       Mitchel agreed to get together some of us in a subcommittee and develop one (or perhaps a few) well-stated arguments for the non-HIV=AIDS hypothesis. First, I strenuously object to the idea that whatever argument we post can then be illicitly shredded by the kind of innuendos, ridicule, and biased manipulation (e.g., by suggesting that HIV does not cause AIDS we are somehow murdering people) that has already taken place, by Balter and others. That is not scientific inquiry, and I do not accept this challenge, unless it is promised (by Balter and others who have had similar comments) that we focus on the scientific arguments, not on alleged motives or personal opinions about us.

      Second, I see no reason why it should be up to us to produce such tracts. There is no way that I could produce an article of Mae-Wan Ho's article, and, while it does not present EVERY objection to the HIV=AIDS hypothesis, it is one of the best I have seen. (And when I have the time in the next few weeks, I will do so.)

       For now, I would propose Mae-Wan Ho's article as the first in the series of articles that Balter has suggested. No, neither I nor Mitchel nor anyone else on this list has written it. But its arguments are the same as those I would make in anything I wrote on those aspects of the paradigm. Please, Balter and co, go to town. Refute Mae-Wan Ho's article, paragraph by paragraph. Cite the primary peer-reviewed research please, not government pronouncements.

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science