http://observer.guardian.co.uk/world/story/0,,2057399,00.html

The long road to ruin for the Amazon forest

$350m plan to pave 600 miles of Brazilian track
exacerbates the conflict between settlers and
environmentalists

Alex Bellos in Novo Progresso, Brazil
Sunday April 15, 2007
The Observer

Taking a bus along the BR-163 is an adventure
sport. When it is dry, the ride is an
exhilarating slalom between gigantic potholes.
When it is wet, the bus gets stuck in the mud and
the passengers are expected to pull it out by
rope.

The 1,100-mile road is the main north-south
artery of the Amazon rainforest. It is also the
most controversial road in Brazil, built in the
1970s to open up the jungle to colonisation -
forgetting, of course, that many indigenous
Indians lived there already. It has become a
frontier of deforestation. Now President Luiz
Inacio Lula da Silva has announced that one of
the major projects of his second term, at a cost
of $350m, will be to pave the 600 miles of the
road that is still a dirt track.

Roads bring human activity, which has always
meant a plundering of natural resources. Yet Lula
believes he can develop the region without
increasing destruction. The stakes are high,
since the area of influence of the BR-163 is a
quarter of the Brazilian Amazon. 'The problem in
the past is that the government has not had
presence in the area,' says Muriel Saragossi, the
government's co-ordinator for the Amazon region.
'We now have an integrated vision.' The
'Sustainable BR-163 Plan' involves 20 ministries
and is Brazil's most ambitious attempt ever to
reconcile growth and conservation.

The road stretches from Cuiaba, near the Bolivian
border, to Santarem on the banks of the Amazon.
On the first 450-mile paved section the
rainforest has been transformed into rolling
fields as far as the eye can see. The main crop
is soya. Soya - half of it exported to the EU -
is the economic force behind the road project. If
the BR-163 is paved to Santarem, with its deep
water port, farmers could export soya along it.
'This will cut the road journey to the market by
600 miles as well as a similar distance by sea,'
says farmer Nelson Piccoli in Sorriso. Piccoli,
like other farmers, resents the suggestion that
soya is responsible for razing the Amazon: 'We
did not destroy this region. We transformed this
region from native vegetation to agricultural
production. What you are seeing here is how we
are supporting humanity. You cannot survive
without eating food.'

As I travelled along the BR-163 I was surprised
by how much the environmental message seemed to
have got through to the timber industry. In
Sinop, a lumber town, a building was emblazoned
with the words Green Party. Paulo Fiuza, the
local Green leader, is a former logger. 'Just
because you work in the timber industry it
doesn't mean you can't be an environmentalist,'
he says. If they carry on destroying the way they
have been, he said, they will destroy the land
that has brought them wealth.

For almost two-thirds of its length the BR-163,
however, is a track. Even though the road is
barely passable for several months of the year,
settlers came here in their tens of thousands.
Here much less of the rainforest is destroyed -
but the social problems are much worse. It is not
just because buses get stuck in mud; it is that
the region is lawless. 'We are completely
abandoned here,' says small farmer Irineu
Matthes, in Castelo dos Sonhos, a town of about
6,000. 'The government is not present at all.
Here we are at the hands of fate.' A week after I
left, two local people were assassinated.

Most murders are over land. The government
encouraged settlers, but only gave a small
minority title. Those who were the most violent
kept the largest plots. The largest town on the
unpaved section is Novo Progresso (pop. 40,000).
The cattle herd here has boomed from 50,000 a
decade ago to a million.

'No one put a sign at the beginning of the BR-163
when we came here saying that it was forbidden to
destroy the rainforest,' argues Rancher Jose dos
Santos. 'Why do we have to pay such a high price
because the rest of Brazil - and certainly
England - has already destroyed its forests? We
just want a little space where we can live and
work with diginity.'

For the lorry drivers of the BR-163, the paving
will make their lives easier, but at a high cost.
'You used to see tapirs, capybaras - even jaguars
- by the side of the road. Now you hardly see
anything,' says lorry driver Gustavo Hering.
'When the paving comes, you'll be able to get
everything out - and you will finish off the
forest completely.

 Alex Bellos's film on the BR-163 will be
broadcast tomorrow on Newsnight, BBC2, 10.30pm