We went to visit the Heron Rookery on rte 7 today, hoping to get cool
heron pictures.  As luck would have it, I got crappy heron pictures
(there are several reasons for this, and they are all technical).  We
did, however, discover that there are six active nests this year,
which is really cool.

In our travels, however, we got two very nice sightings-- 1st, our
first Broad-Winged hawk sighting of the season, in Marlboro, hanging
out on a wire.  It let us stay and take lots of pictures.

We also managed to find a life bird for me: an American Woodcock (in
Londonderry).  This was pure luck.  It was swaying about on the side
of the road and I just happened to notice it, so we turned around and
I got as many pictures as I could.  It was actually so intent on its
swaying, bouncing motion, that it was starting to wander into the
road.  We thought that seemed dangerous for it, so I actually made a
point of flushing it out.  This is the only time I can remember ever
deliberately flushing out a bird.

Pictures of the broadie and the woodcock (along with a flicker which
just showed up in our yard before we left) are at:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&tc=58&keywords=&dte=2007-04-22

And yesterday's pictures of quite a few local creatures, such as
various yard birds (robin, chickadee, junco, titmouse), a turkey
vulture, an Osprey hunting and diving, a Northern Shoveler (and a
difficult to see snipe), a red squirrel and a painted turtle are at:

http://juliesmagiclightshow.com/?&tc=58&keywords=&dte=2007-04-21

The Northern Shoveler and Snipe picture is one of the few occasions
when I have two life birds in a single picture.  And I didn't even
-see- the snipe when I was -taking- the picture.  Not a very good
picture, but clear enough to tell.

All in all, a damned fine birding weekend.

--julie

	this is not true.

			--Robert Wilensky