Puttering around outdoors, I was struck by how closely several of the
chickadees approached me and how intently they seemed to be observing
me.  So I took some sunflower seed from the feeder and held it out in my
hand, and almost immediately one of the Chickadees came out of the
shrubbery and landed right on my hand briefly and took a seed.
Unfortunately, my cat came strolling up at just that minute and the
birds all scattered, so I didn't try it again immediately.

I've been in a couple places where these little guys have become
accustomed to taking seed from the hand and approach every visitor
looking for a handout, but the methods I've read for teaching birds to
do this have involved long periods of time and great patience, not this
instant acceptance-- and only a few feet from a feeder brimming with seeds.

What a thrill to feel those little feet of a wild bird on my hand.

I expect I'll do this some more!

Jane
Shoreham