 Apologies for the subject heading.  I have no idea why my original message had "spam####" in the subject heading.  I certainly didn't put it there!    Second:   I am really glad that as of recently we have had many fascinating discussion on VTBIRD ranging from the Barnacle Goose, to vagrancy patterns, to taxonomy questions, and now the hunting question.  I believe having these challenging, yet productive, discussions are essential to keeping VTBIRD vibrant and healthy!                Good birding to all.              TajTaj SchottlandPutney, [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask] bumperstickers for sale! "so many birds so little time" ...........&......... "I'd rather be birding". For more info email me! --- On Fri 04/27, Michael Blust < [log in to unmask] > wrote:
From: Michael Blust [mailto: [log in to unmask]]To: [log in to unmask]: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:54:06 -0400Subject: [VTBIRD] [SPAM?:####] RE: [VTBIRD] HuntingPerhaps an entomological perspective will help on this. As anentomologist, I kill insects. My preferred method is to put them in thefreezer, which is what happens to many insects in the fall in nature. Idon't enjoy killing insects, but in many cases, they need to be killedand studied under a microscope. When asked "how I could do this" Igenerally point out that anyone who drives a car slaughters many ordersof magnitudes more insects than I do. At least my specimens contributeto knowledge that can be used to help the species. I do not believethat the few specimens I take depletes the populations. It is habitatloss that decreases populations more than anything else. While theparallels are not exact, habitat loss is ultimately much moredestructive than hunting in terms of lowering bird populations. Infact, since hunting
contributes to saving habitat, it has done more tohelp bird populations. Some people focus on the life or death ofindividual animals - this is more direct and easier to see. Focusing onthe size and health of populations is less direct, but ultimately moreuseful in terms of promoting the survival of more individuals.That being said, all of us have some experience with hunters who are adisgrace to the expectations of what good hunters should do. I mightpoint out that the same can be said of some birders. There are some whotrespass. There are some who would rather use a tape to tick off aspecies on their list than be concerned about disturbing the breedingsuccess of the bird. There are some who trample habitat in theirefforts. Let's not condemn hunting because of some of the individualswho hunt poorly, just as we do not want birding to be condemned by someof the individuals who bird poorly.Michael BlustProfessor of BiologyGreen Mountain CollegePoultney, VT 05764802-287-8331
[log in to unmask] things come to those who wade!-----Original Message-----From: Vermont Birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of TajSent: Thursday, April 26, 2007 8:55 PMTo: [log in to unmask]: [VTBIRD] [SPAM?:####] HuntingIt boggles my mind how we can say that hunters are birders best friends.The very essence and purpose of a hunter is to kill the wildlife. Thevery essence and purpose of birders is to enjoy and appreciate thewildlife. Regardless of whether the money generated from hunting goesto help bird areas, it really does not make up for the damage thathunters create, to our woods and the animals. I cannot tell you how manytimes i have been hiking in our woods (it's even posted property) and Ihave come across makeshift blinds with beer cans strewn about. Manyhunters do not appreciate our wilderness. I have heard stories ofhunters at Herricks Cove shooting down migrating waterfowl and thenbringing the dead duck
to a birder (I won't name the birder) and askingwhat species of duck it is. As far as i understand, hunters must firstidentify the duck species before they shoot it down (because somewaterfowl is protected under endangered species act). Hunting does notgo along with birding, and I must admit that I have no admiration for people who needto appreciate wildlife by killing it. As a birder, and someone wholoves nature, I will continue to appreciate wildlife where it belongs:living in nature. Taj Schottland_______________________________________________No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.Make My Way your home on the Web - http://www.myway.com

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.