I suspect that I am one of the very few birders in VT who has ever spent
a night in the police cells just for being a birder. My buddy and I
(both about 16 years old) had hitch-hiked across Scotland to tick some
rarity (I forget which) that had turned up at some scuzzy sewage farm on
the east coast.

After dipping on the bird, we found that it was getting dark and began
frantically hitching to get back home. By midnight, we had run out of
cruiser pulled up, took one look at our shoulder-length hair and grubby
appearance and decided that we needed to be taken into custody.

No matter how hard we tried to explain it in simple terms, they did not
seem to fully understand the concept of twitching. Anyway, they dumped
us in the cells for the night. Next morning the cops put us on a bus and
they paid our tickets. I guess they thought that the expense was worth
it to remove such a couple of desperate characters from their town.

Hector Galbraith PhD
Galbraith Environmental Sciences LLC
837 Camp Arden Rd., Dummerston, VT05301
802 258 4836 (phone)