I wouldn't think it was the storm per se, but the long period of
unseasonable cold, which suppressed insect life and therefore food.
Were the birds emaciated?  The other possibiity is that they were killed
by House Sparrows, which I understand will give a hard whack of the bill
right through the skull of the luckless bluebird caught in a nestbox.

Jane