Signs mentioning that cranes are present might help
and it might hurt. But at a minimum a sign requesting
people to not allow their dogs to run free due to rare
nesting birds might be prudent.  Some people bring
their dogs to access locations to let them play, and
play for many dogs includes chasing wildlife of any
kind.

--- "Nancy A. Brown" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Sandhill Cranes: Greater Sandhill Cranes G.c.tabida
> breeds in Wisconsin and Michigan.  Shy bird of
> uninhabited open plains, wet meadows.    WOW!! was
> that of excitement or anger, maybe sadness.  Steve
> Irwin's Wildlife Warriors Organization is dedicated
> to rising the awareness of our natural world; you
> cannot want to save or love something you are not
> aware of.      In all of last summers messaging and
> speculation about the Cranes of Bristol, it was
> never revealed on this list serve that it was known
> they were breeding.   This pair has chosen the
> Bristol Pond area, which at, the VT Fish & Game
> maintains an access area.  Have you purchased a duck
> stamp and/or fishing license which supports the
> protection of wetlands?   I did go to Bristol to
> view the Cranes last summer, parked at access, in
> awe at the sight and sound of their trumpeting
> flight call as they left to forage in the meadows.
> They are readily visible as they forage and one does
> not or should not have to leave your vehicle to
> witness this wonder of nature.  The Fish & Games
> nongame wildlife program have posted signage
> informing the public about the Loon population and
> what to do if one should encounter a Loon.   At this
> particular access would signage be appropriate for
> the Cranes?  I am getting the feeling that anonymity
> is the chosen protection here.    Hind sight is
> 20/20  to the struggle with, do we make the public
> aware or do we hope the intentions of the uniformed
> does not destroy it.    Two seasons have gone by,
> we will we know why this site chosen by the Cranes
> in Vermont has not been successful.   Was it the
> weather; to cold, to wet at the time of hatching?
> Animal predication? Parental inexperience?  Human
> interference?    Here is to the success of the
> Cranes and to those passionate in their desires to
> gain knowledge of their avian surroundings.

It's here! Your new message!