I fully agree.  I believe that the best way we can help protect our species
including birds is through conservation.  The preservation and restoration of
breeding and wintering grounds is vital to the overall health of species and
diversity.  Conservation is as important to birders as it is to hunters.  Both
are looking to rich diverse habitats.  Also, hunters actively contribute to
conservation thanks to the fees they pay.

Where hunters diverge from some birders is on animal rights.  While I
appreciate the concerns of animal rights activists, I believe that for overall
species welfare that birders are best served by creating allies with fellow
conservationists including hunters.  We need all the help we can get to
preserve and restore habitat.

There have been some great articles in Audubon and Living Bird on this topic
over the past few years.

Michael