Though much of Lake Lamoille (in Morrisville)  is still iced over, the ice is beginning to release its grip, and there are some substantial patches of open water. Between appointments today (April 3) about 9:30 a.m., I took ten minutes to look and listen for birds near the intersection of Cady's Falls Road and Bridge Street:

I saw

8 Wood Ducks (4 female, 4 male)
7 Mallards (3 female, 4 male)
4 Common Mergansers (4 male)
1 Belted Kingfisher
2 Great Blue Herons
1 Yellow-rumped warbler
2 Blue Jays
6 American Crows

I heard (but did not see)

at least 1 Eastern Phoebe
at least 1 Northern Cardinal
at least 1 Song Sparrow

When heading home about 5:30 p.m., I pulled over to study 1 OSPREY perched at the top of a dead tree. It seemed oblivious to me (parked 60 feet away) as well as to the many cars that drove by. Had a fantastic view. Could even clearly see its gray feet!

Charlotte Bill
Enosburgh