Michael's skinny skins had a hard time gripping on the steep track to
nowhere. He slid back, swore, fell, and broke a ski pole near the top.
Was it overkill, or was a 2 x 4 really the best thing he could find?

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/2by41.jpg

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/2b42.jpg

Here's about how it goes. The phone rings. I roll over, pick up, and
someone wants to go skiing. Often, it's Matt from up the road. In that
case, I get up and ready quickly. We ski out our respective doors,
meet at a trailhead and within an hour are skiing something like this:

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/q1.jpg

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/q2.jpg

Often, it's so good that we just pop back into my place for a bit to
refuel, then we skin for a second run. Never have we made consecutive
tours on the same mountain.

Sometimes, the phone rings and it's any one of my friends who live
within a 30 minute drive. On those occasions, I get up, make a big pot
of coffee and cook some breakfast. I could be waiting for any one or
two of about eight friends.

 But, I am waiting. Relaxing, looking out the windows and slowly
gearing up while they drive to my place, the starting point for more
tours than I should quantify. They bring their gear in, apply skins
and boot up in the comfort of my warm little ski shack.

We might be going here,

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/d2.jpg

which is roughly a 60 minute skin from my door and all of 1500
vertical feet of skiing.

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/d3.jpg

Or here,

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/d5.jpg

Or, when conditions allow, we hit up an 1800 footer that starts out
something like this:

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/k2.jpg

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/k1.jpg

Sometimes, the phone doesn't ring. Those days, I wake up whenever and
take whatever time I feel is appropriate. I go and ski something
alone, maybe one of what's been pictured or maybe something totally
different.

One way or another, I ski pretty much every day without driving
anywhere. I have a ski pass that accesses five different resorts, but
have not touched it in a month. Skiing has been too good at home to
drive anywhere but work - at 5pm, five nights per week.

As you might guess, I am spoiled enough.

To the point where the words "skiing" and "powder" don't exist without
each other.

Ever.

Whoosh!

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/image_upload/World/d4.jpg