I can remember getting dessip at a postholer on Skytop on afternoon (and was
somewhat amazed at the gomer's physical stamina). And then I realized a
moose had been on the loose.

To Fido or not to Fido? I'm not sure there's a straightforward answer. Take
Winter, for example (the luckiest god alive?).

My parents' hcoop, Bessie, used to accompany me on XC jaunts both on and off
trail. Wercs postholing, when it got really deep she tried to hitch a ride
on the tails of my skis.

On 4/10/07, Scott Danis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> There's never an excuse for
> >postholing a skin track. Unless you're a moose.
>
> Haha.  Still no excuse in my book.  Unlike humans, moose will run if
> confronted whilst postholing.  Partridge, however, linger and surprise you
> but don't mess up the snow too badly.  Deer will drag their bellies in
> deep
> snow, but unless you're a dog with an foul intestinal malady or even
> worse,
> trained by a human, animals generally are in the know abot postholing and
> snow etiquette.
>
> side note:  while hiking from Underhill to Stowe and back on Saturday,
> along
> the way I saw two skiers tending to a dog bleeding significantly from it's
> left front leg.  Most dogs I've skied alpine with generally suffer and
> have
> been a hindrance.  Maybe it's kewl to bring fido for your particular
> idiom,
> but maybe there ought to be a post on how to kill a 3-year old dog in the
> BC
> or how dogs should be trained to stay out of the skin track.

Benjamin Kulas

caveat lector