From: [log in to unmask] agree, that is a great picture.  I have taken pictures of tracks and they never come out anything like that.  They are always white and washed out.

That sounds like overexposure.  There are easy ways to take care of that with a typical digital camera.  One way that works well for scenic shots is to bracket your exposures – many cameras have an automatic setting that will take 3 or even 5 pictures with one push of the button at various levels of exposure.  One of the exposures will usually be the picture you want.  If your camera doesn’t do that automatically, you can just do it yourself (takes a bit more time).  Even easier it to simply knock down the exposure setting on your camera by a few thirds of a stop if you find that it consistently overexposes – almost every camera had a setting that lets you adjust exposure.

Are you doing something with a photo editor to bring them out.  I have a primitive photo editing freeware package called Irfanview.  It has done what I have wanted to do until now.  It seems that every picture of tracks on the web now shows the tracks dramatically.

Yes, I process all my pictures in Photoshop.  Many shots are literally night and day after processing.  In some pictures of ski tracks you can barely even make out the tracks in the original picture (especially flat light/storm days) but they stand out beautifully once processed.
 Also where were you when you took the pic?  It looks like you were in a high place, like on the lift, but I thought the lift was closed.
That picture was actually taken right on the trail below my tracks – it must be some aspect of the perspective that makes it look like it’s from an elevated position. J.Spin