We use EzProxy which is very low cost, has free support, is updated
regularly (all updates are free), and has been quite secure.  There have
been problems with firewalls, but EzProxy can be configured for a
workaround that is still secure.

EzProxy authenticates with our LDAP which is maintained by my
university.  I have set the range of IP address that should get access
so anyone at my school gets in.  Because my proxy server is specific to
my school, people at other institutions within my university get the
login screen.

http://www.usefulutilities.com/

One of the things that I find absolutely amazing is the level of support
for this product-- and it's all free.  Chris Zagar is the developer; he
follows very closely the EzProxy listserv and responds quite regularly.
When we've had questions here, he's been willing to take phone calls as
well as take a look at our server setup at no charge.  I suspect he
would be more than willing to answer questions about usernames and
passwords.

Another option is a VPN-- Virtual Private Network. Here's my school info
about ours:

http://www.sph.uth.tmc.edu/itservices/default.asp?id=107

We use both.  For people with firewall problems, we route them through
the VPN.  The IP they get is a University-level one, so they still have
to login through the proxy server but I've not had any complaints.
They're just glad they can get in!

Helena

Helena M. VonVille
Library Director
University of Texas School of Public Health
Houston, TX
713-500-9131
713-500-9125 (fax)