On my first job, some 30 years ago, I did not have to wear my ID tag,
but I wanted to wear something that will identify me.  So I ordered a
small plastic pin from a Nursing journal ad, that identified me by name
and my MLS degree.  No one objected.   Here too, the ruling is to wear
the official hospital ID at all times, but now at least it does identify
me as "director, Webster Library", and my staff also has an identifying
line of "Librarian" or "coordinator".   And sorry, Joy,  I do not like
the white (or Gray) coat model - volunteers here wear Maroon - everybody
wears something - and if you wear a white coat,  will your Technical
person wear one too? - so what's the advantage?.   The only solution is
a  Certificate of sorts that will bring recognition by Hospital
Administrators. JCAHO, etc. possibly on a state level, at least for
hospitals.  It is an old idea that got rejected, don't remember why.
(AHIMA solved it, but their role is "legal" even if confusion sometimes
rains supreme as to who is a Librarian - but of what - the "Medical
Records Librarian "counts" and HAS to be there - the "other" - us - can
be done without).   But attaining a "legal" status  is getting harder
and harder, esp. with the proliferation of the net, and we might regret
the process since it will involve meeting strict regulations and tests
and CE etc..   An official certification will provide "teeth" that the
AHIP never had, does not have, and might not ever have.  And it will
maybe solve the Medical Librarian dilemma, but not the general one of
the "librarian that was shelving books and did not know anything"
syndrome, which is a public and Academic library problem.   This
"recognition" business  is a frustration that we all face, and talk
about, and write about, and learn about (it was a topic at the GSLIS
school I attended over 30 years ago),  and there STILL  no solution in
sight.

Dalia Kleinmuntz, M.L.S.
Director of Webster Library & ENH Library Resources
Evanston Hospital, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare
847-570-2664 (voice)
847-570-2926 (fax)                  [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask] (personal)

Opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of ENH.