Apologies for duplicate messages.

---Forwarded Message---

Dear Colleagues,
A limited number of openings remain for Institute 2007. Please post with
Professional Development listings or pass on to colleagues whom you
think might be interested. Thanks so much for your support!

/Joe Brooks, Executive Editor,/
/Community Works Journal/
/***************/******************************************************
*
*
*
*
*Don't miss this nationally acclaimed event! • Limited openings remain*

*Community Works*
*Summer Institute on Service-Learning*
*—July 24-28, 2007 at Shelburne Farms, Vermont*

Join with educators from across North America and beyond for a unique
professional development opportunity in a spectacular setting.

The Institute supports K-16 and community educators—beginner to
advanced—at the classroom, program and the site level. Service-Learning
is the focus, with an emphasis on educating for sutainability. Our large
and diverse multi-state faculty of experienced practitioners will share
tools and exemplars and are available for direct support to participants
throughout the week.

[A printable brochure and registration form is available on-line at:
www.vermontcommunityworks.org <http://www.vermontcommunityworks.org> ]

*/*** Institutes 2003 to 2006 enrolled to capacity so early registration
is recommended!/**/ ***/*

*"Super! Incredibly useful to hear the ‘voice’ of others. Having this
experience not only enriches myself and my practice, but will also
enrich the practice of my coworkers as we share these ideas back home.”*
*/—Elliott Lax, Science Teacher/City Works Coordinator/*
*/City High School, Tucson, Arizona /*

*“I cannot relay to you how powerful the Institute on Service-Learning
was to me.  It has literally changed my life, my perspective and my
goals, both professionally and personally…. With distance and time, I am
realizing more and more how my time in Vermont was a unique, blessed,
and inspirational opportunity.”*
*/—Joanne Vanderhorst, Outreach Director/*
*/All Saints Day School, Carmel, Californial/*

*Join with educators from across North America at this unique
professional development experience set on the spectacular shore of Lake
Champlain*

*LOCATION:* Shelburne Farms, Vermont. Shelburne Farms is an
environmental education center and national historic landmark on the
shores of Lake Champlain. Enjoy the walking trails, working farm, and
inn and restaurant. The farm is convenient to city of Burlington and
many accommodations. Air access via Burlington International Airport, or
Montreal. [more info at: www.shelburnefarms.org
<http://www.shelburnefarms.org>

*GOAL:* To provide K-16 teachers, community educators, and
administrators with training, models, strategies, and resources for
developing service-learning as an integrated feature of curriculum with
clear links to standards.

*FACULTY:* Our large full-time faculty is comprised of nationally
recognized practitioners with diverse backgrounds. Faculty members share
tools and exemplars and are available for direct support to participants
throughout the week. (more info on CW web site)

*"T**he Institute was an experience that simply, words cannot describe....*
*we were all working on things that mattered."*
*/—Sherine Hafez, Cairo American College (K-12), Egypt/*

*WHO SHOULD ATTEND:* The Institute supports educators K-16, beginner to
advanced, at both the classroom-program level and site level. Individual
educators and teams from schools and community organizations are welcomed.

*INSTITUTE OVERVIEW:* The Summer Institute incorporates principles of
education for sustainability in emphasizing service-learning best
practice. Interactive training includes opportunities for dialogue with
experienced practitioners and each other. Structured planning and
reflection time is provided for individual and group work.

Study Groups provide participants with the opportunity to share their
work and enjoy feedback and support from peers. Past participants have
noted that this is one of the most useful and exciting opportunities at
the Institute.

More extensive information on the Institute, faculty members, an
exciting array of workshop offerings, along with discounted local
accommodations can be found at Community Works
On-Line: www.vermontcommunityworks.org
<http://www.vermontcommunityworks.org>

*"**Every participant… came to feel ownership of an ultimately
satisfying experiment—a week of good work—that achieved a valuable end
of planned and proposed programs reaching many corners of the world, and
that claimed all of us as contributing members of a community of
scholars and activists."*
*/—Dr. Beverly Maddox Moon, Delta State University, Mississippi/*

*OUTCOMES:* include the development of an integrated service-learning
instructional or site plan that meets each participant’s own unique
school or program needs. Opportunities for post-Institute support are
also available.

*Fees, Graduate Credit & Relicensure*
Professional certificates will be issued upon successful completion of
Institute work. Three graduate credits are optional.

*Institute Tuition*: $960 tuition, including  books and training
materials, breaks, lunches, and a midweek bbq. The fee does NOT include
lodging. Discounted lodging  is available, please call for details.
Meals are catered by the Inn at Shelburne Farms.
Credits:  3 Graduate Credits (Optional) Cost: $520

*"**I found the work we did and the knowledge that I acquired so
valuable that I will definitely be recommending the Institute to the
rest of the Service Learning educators and administrators in Beaver
County, PA !!!"*
*/—Peggy Adams, Service Learning Educator/*
*/South Side High School, Beaver County, PA/*

*Accommodations and Local Information*
Visit: www.vermontcommunityworks.org
<http://www.vermontcommunityworks.org> for information on suggested
accommodations with discounted rates.

*For General Information* on the Institute, curriculum, content and
events contact Joe Brooks at:* *802-655-5918 ; or by email
at: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*To Register* Call Julia Hammond at Shelburne Farms 802-985-8686 ext. 41
; or email: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

*To Obtain a Brochure* A printable brochure and registration form is
available on-line at: www.vermontcommunityworks.org
<http://www.vermontcommunityworks.org>

INSTITUTE PARTNERS: Shelburne Farms, Vermont Community Works, Vermont
Folklife Center,
Sustainable Schools Project

__________________
Joe Brooks
Executive Director
Vermont Community Works / Community Works Press
PO Box 2251 South Burlington, VT 05407
tel:  802-655-5918
email: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

OUR MISSION is to promote exemplary teaching practices, programs
and models that help students become caring, responsible and active
members of their communities.

VCW is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization

---End of Forwarded Message---