Apologies for duplicate messages.

---Forwarded Message---

Dear Colleagues,
A limited number of openings remain for Institute 2007. Please post with Professional Development listings or pass on to colleagues whom you think might be interested. Thanks so much for your support!

Joe Brooks, Executive Editor,
Community Works Journal

Don't miss this nationally acclaimed event! • Limited openings remain

Community Works
Summer Institute on Service-Learning
—July 24-28, 2007 at Shelburne Farms, Vermont

Join with educators from across North America and beyond for a unique professional development opportunity in a spectacular setting.

The Institute supports K-16 and community educators—beginner to advanced—at the classroom, program and the site level. Service-Learning is the focus, with an emphasis on educating for sutainability. Our large and diverse multi-state faculty of experienced practitioners will share tools and exemplars and are available for direct support to participants throughout the week.

[A printable brochure and registration form is available on-line at: www.vermontcommunityworks.org ]

*** Institutes 2003 to 2006 enrolled to capacity so early registration is recommended! ***

"Super! Incredibly useful to hear the ‘voice’ of others. Having this experience not only enriches myself and my practice, but will also enrich the practice of my coworkers as we share these ideas back home.”
—Elliott Lax, Science Teacher/City Works Coordinator
City High School, Tucson, Arizona

“I cannot relay to you how powerful the Institute on Service-Learning was to me.  It has literally changed my life, my perspective and my goals, both professionally and personally…. With distance and time, I am realizing more and more how my time in Vermont was a unique, blessed, and inspirational opportunity.”
—Joanne Vanderhorst, Outreach Director
All Saints Day School, Carmel, Californial

Join with educators from across North America at this unique professional development experience set on the spectacular shore of Lake Champlain

LOCATION: Shelburne Farms, Vermont. Shelburne Farms is an environmental education center and national historic landmark on the shores of Lake Champlain. Enjoy the walking trails, working farm, and inn and restaurant. The farm is convenient to city of Burlington and many accommodations. Air access via Burlington International Airport, or Montreal. [more info at: www.shelburnefarms.org

GOAL: To provide K-16 teachers, community educators, and administrators with training, models, strategies, and resources for developing service-learning as an integrated feature of curriculum with clear links to standards.

FACULTY: Our large full-time faculty is comprised of nationally recognized practitioners with diverse backgrounds. Faculty members share tools and exemplars and are available for direct support to participants throughout the week. (more info on CW web site)

"The Institute was an experience that simply, words cannot describe....
we were all working on things that mattered."
—Sherine Hafez, Cairo American College (K-12), Egypt

WHO SHOULD ATTEND: The Institute supports educators K-16, beginner to advanced, at both the classroom-program level and site level. Individual educators and teams from schools and community organizations are welcomed.

INSTITUTE OVERVIEW: The Summer Institute incorporates principles of education for sustainability in emphasizing service-learning best practice. Interactive training includes opportunities for dialogue with experienced practitioners and each other. Structured planning and reflection time is provided for individual and group work.

Study Groups provide participants with the opportunity to share their work and enjoy feedback and support from peers. Past participants have noted that this is one of the most useful and exciting opportunities at the Institute.

More extensive information on the Institute, faculty members, an exciting array of workshop offerings, along with discounted local accommodations can be found at Community Works On-Line: www.vermontcommunityworks.org

"Every participant… came to feel ownership of an ultimately satisfying experiment—a week of good work—that achieved a valuable end of planned and proposed programs reaching many corners of the world, and that claimed all of us as contributing members of a community of scholars and activists."
—Dr. Beverly Maddox Moon, Delta State University, Mississippi

OUTCOMES: include the development of an integrated service-learning instructional or site plan that meets each participant’s own unique school or program needs. Opportunities for post-Institute support are also available.

Fees, Graduate Credit & Relicensure
Professional certificates will be issued upon successful completion of Institute work. Three graduate credits are optional.

Institute Tuition: $960 tuition, including  books and training materials, breaks, lunches, and a midweek bbq. The fee does NOT include lodging. Discounted lodging  is available, please call for details. Meals are catered by the Inn at Shelburne Farms.
Credits:  3 Graduate Credits (Optional) Cost: $520

"I found the work we did and the knowledge that I acquired so valuable that I will definitely be recommending the Institute to the rest of the Service Learning educators and administrators in Beaver County, PA !!!"
—Peggy Adams, Service Learning Educator
South Side High School, Beaver County, PA

Accommodations and Local Information
Visit: www.vermontcommunityworks.org for information on suggested accommodations with discounted rates.

For General Information on the Institute, curriculum, content and events contact Joe Brooks at: 802-655-5918 ; or by email at: [log in to unmask]

To Register Call Julia Hammond at Shelburne Farms 802-985-8686 ext. 41 ; or email: [log in to unmask]

To Obtain a Brochure A printable brochure and registration form is available on-line at: www.vermontcommunityworks.org

INSTITUTE PARTNERS: Shelburne Farms, Vermont Community Works, Vermont Folklife Center,
Sustainable Schools Project

__________________
Joe Brooks
Executive Director
Vermont Community Works / Community Works Press
PO Box 2251 South Burlington, VT 05407
tel:  802-655-5918
email: [log in to unmask]

OUR MISSION is to promote exemplary teaching practices, programs
and models that help students become caring, responsible and active
members of their communities.

VCW is a non-profit 501(c)(3) educational organization

---End of Forwarded Message---