This post was originally titled "Northern Greens, Feb 21-Mar 1." I
wrote it way back then and never got around to mailing it. As we
drift into summer and tally up our days, I thought maybe it was time
to share these thoughts

- - - - - - - - - %< clip and save >%  - - - - - - - - -

I used to be a bumpaholic. I was young and made of rubber. I had few
athletic talents, especially in sports which involved balls. I could
run track, ride a bike, throw a frisbee. And ski. A bit like a spazz,
wild and undisciplined, but I could ski. And I liked bumps.

Then, in 1988 or so, I blew out a knee at Mad River. I took a bad
jump off the Paradise waterfall and strained it, then tore 75% of my
ACL 15 minutes later on the last 4 bumps on Rockefeller's. Minor
surgery to clean up meniscus that spring. January the following
season, I tore the remaining 25% on Exhibition at Jay -- while
standing in place (call for details). Major reconstruction surgery
that spring.

Starting the following November, I decided that bumps just weren't
all that. Sure, I would ski them, but not with the same relish, and
certainly not with the same style. I tried to work on grace and
finesse, rather than strength and luck. Don't know if I ever actually
achieved grace nor finesse, but that was the plan. Oh, yea -- Aand
avoid big icy grump bumps at all costs. Seek out soft snow, powder,
trees. Sometimes, moguls were just in the way.

Shift ahead to February, 2007. I just skied 12 days straight, 7 of
them with my young son, William, age six, in some of the softest and
most forgiving snow in years. And I have skied moguls, lots of them,
over and over again, chasing and being chased by a smooth skiing
bumpaholic munchkin.

- - - - -

Some Stone Hut Week highlights, not all involving kids or moguls:

o Hiking up Cliff Trail (the Hiking Kind) above the Cliff House. I've
skied down this -- easy. But climbing up? I had an anxiety attack.
Apparently, I'm a little scared of heights. Skiing down the Rock
Garden felt much better.

o Introducing Booger fields to the uninitiated. It was Jonathan
Kamien and I who named them in the early 90s (see http://list.uvm.edu/
cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9603&L=SKIVT-L&P=R11054)

o Solo Tuesday tour: Bruce==> Bear Run==> Burt Trail==> Underhill
Trail==> Upper Steeple Cutoff==> Upper Steeple. Four hour tour on fat
skis and AT boots for 25 so-so powder turns. Got back to the Quad
with 15 minuted to spare before closing time.

o Solo Wednesday night, alone in my hut (yes, MY hut). Some friends
dropped in for beers around 7PM and stayed an hour or s, then headed
back to Underhill -- not an unusual occurrence at 3650'

o Skiing with the kids: mine, Scotty-D's, Jim's. Kids can rip, and
they keep you young. Then there was the skiing with the Big Kid,
Scott-B. Had fun showing him around good ol' Spruce peak.