I know of at least one other situation where this
happened, at Crotched Mountain in NH. In that case,
the lifetime pass was bought in the 1980s, I believe.
Then the mountain was closed for a decade or so and
the passes weren't honored by the new owners that
reopened it. But in that case, it seemed to make
sense.
- Bob