Occasionally, I'll get someone in the library who has been searching
Medline for ages and can't find a single citation. Even more occasionally,
I'll do a quick search and come up with dozens of them. As the user gasps
in amazement, I say some variation of "knowing how to do good searches is
part of my job, just as patient care is part of your job."

Fred King
Medical Librarian, Washington Hospital Center
202-877-6221

Medical Libraries Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> wrote on
05/24/2007 01:40:03 PM:

> I admit, anytime I do research with one of my patrons watching, I make
sure
> I use the most complex search strategies possible. I also explain (using
the
> most technical terms possible) exactly what I'm doing, step by step.
>
> They tend to appreciate what I do more after that. (At least, they're
still
> coming to me for help, lol!)
>
> Brett VanBenschoten
> Library Associate
> California Hospital Medical Center Library
> 213-742-5872

On
> Behalf Of yorke, louise
> Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:45 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: CHAT: mixed blessings...
>
> The things people say.............
> Yesterday a nurse told me she is retiring this week and won't miss the
> pressure.
> Now she can stay home, relax and just sit at her computer desk like I
do!!!
> Double grind............Fortunately, she wasn't much of a library user
so
> she won't be missed.
>
> Louise M. Yorke
> Medical Librarian & Manager
> Library of the Health Sciences
> Princeton HealthCare System
> 253 Witherspoon Street
> Princeton, New Jersey 08540
> Phone:  609 497-4487
> Fax:  609 497-4998

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it
is addressed . The information contained in this communication may
also be protected by legal privilege , federal law or other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication , you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and
please immediately notify us of the error by separate communication
 Thank you.