Speaking of ghost-riding...

At the opposite end of town from my place, I have a friend who lives
near a drainage full of short-but-sweet couloirs. Instead of skinning
a couple miles, he regularly snowmobiles a couple minutes by himself.
Atop the corniced run of his choice, he launches his machine off the
edge and watches it go. Usually it makes it the 600-800 feet to the
bottom of the steeps, where he gets back on and rides up again. Not
only is it efficient, it's not bad avalanche control. He says he only
replaced one ski and one strut on it this season.