Justin wrote:
> i hated structure (still do i suppose),

[The point that made it such fun to accuse you of poming by numbers]

> and work much better given free-reign.  oddly, i'm guessing
> there are fewer
> kids like that than there are who want the "formula."

Appallingly true, I'm afraid.  The engineering undergrads I taught went
to pieces when they got a problem that didn't fit into a pre-established
formula.  Give them a probem to solve that lacked numbers, and they
almost to a one, crashed and burned.  (I might feel the same way in a
creative writing class.)

> the formula, patrick, is entirely tongue-in-cheek--and if you
> don't see that,
> you don't know me very well (not that you should, of
> course...).

And my reply, Justin,...[uh, what you said]

> btw: yesterday in "class," we played metaphor-ultimate.  we
> had teams of
> five, and a couple of kids, who did not want to run, sat on
> the sidelines calling
> out abstract nouns whenever someone had the frisbee (like
> love, anger,
> bravery, etc.).  the person with the 'bee had to repeat the
> abstract noun
> shouting, "love is..." then toss the 'bee.  to "complete" the
> pass, the catcher
> had to complete the metaphor with an interesting concrete
> noun.  "love is... a
> dirty shoe."   the pass is ruled incomplete if the metaphor
> is not fresh, or if it's
> cliche.  this was funny since a couple of kids picked up the
> strategy of trying
> to put cliched ideas into the catcher's head--a couple of
> times, the kids, in
> the heat of the moment, picked up the cliche without thinking
> and called it out
> (love is... a red, red rose), and the pass was ruled
> incomplete.  to score a td,
> the whole team had to stand on the goal-line and compose a
> haiku, using all 5
> players, in under 45 seconds to get the point.

I had three completely crazy teachers in my youth.  One was a terrible
teacher and generally despised, one was a great teacher and was adored,
and one was, well, just plain crazy.  I'm guessing you fit one of the
latter two descriptions.

- Patrick