The low velocity could be related to cardiac output.  I would compare the PSV in the common femoral arteries in both sides and see what the high thigh indices are.  if the two sides are the same with normal high thigh indices, then cardiac output might be the problem.  So I guess my answer is yes, if there is seemingly low flow in the common femoral artery I would do more investigating.

Ann Marie Kupinski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I was just curious about criteria related to native arterial imaging.  I think most of us would agree there are accepted standards for a stenosis (increases in PSV and the velocity ratio).  Does any one look at the absolute PSV in segments where there is not disease?  For instance the early paper by Jager, et al, provided normal velocity ranges of 114 + 25 for a CFA.  What do you think about a CFA with a velocity of only 70?  Let's say this CFA is free of disease and displays a normal high resistance waveform that is either biphasic or triphasic.  Would there be any concern over the seemingly "low" PSV?  Just wondering if any one if looking at this?

Thanks
Ann Marie Kupinski
Albany, NY