a project of the <http://www.nationinstitute.org/>Nation Institute

To send this to a friend, or to read more dispatches, go to
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/>tomdispatch.com

Tomgram: Chip Ward, How Efficiency Maximizes Catastrophe

It's true that no single incident or development -- no matter how out
of the ordinary or startling -- can straightforwardly be attributed
to climate change. Nonetheless, it seems strange that the massive
flooding in England, of a sort last seen more than 60 years ago, led
the TV news and made front pages here with hardly a mention of global
warming. You certainly won't see a headline like
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/07/28/eaflood128.xml>this
one from the British Telegraph: "Floods show global warming is here."

And yet this has been "the wettest May to July period for England and
Wales since records began in 1766." The recent "Great Flood of July"
in southern England followed a somewhat similar June event in the
north. As parts of the country are still submerged in the wake of
torrential, tropical-style deluges (a month's worth of rain fell in a
few hours), while record extremes of heat
<http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/2007-07-23-europe-weather_N.htm>"roast"
central and southern Europe, the subject of climate change is
certainly on European
<http://euronews.net/index.php?page=info&article=434881&lng=1>minds
-- and a group of scientists are evidently
<http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article2793067.ece>going
releasing a study in the journal Nature this week that claims "more
intense rainstorms across parts of the northern hemisphere are being
generated by man-made global warming."

No American media figure, for instance, has wondered publicly
whether, someday, England could become, in Gore-like "inconvenient
truth" terms, the
<http://www.world-mysteries.com/newgw/sci_globalw2.htm>partially
sunken Florida of Europe (along undoubtedly with Holland and other
low-lying areas of the continent). It's no less true that a season of
startlingly widespread and fierce wildfires, based on long-term
drought in the West, Southwest, and Southeast has been a news leader
for months -- the TV news just adores the imagery of storms and fires
-- again, most of the time, with little linkage to larger possible
changes underway. We are, it seems, a resistant species when it comes
to thinking about the need to truly reorganize ourselves on this
fragile, but
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19762077/site/newsweek/>resilient,
planet of ours.

And yet, even when no good TV images are produced and the changes are
far more subtle, climate chaos is already pushing stressed ecosystems
in new and
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/3163/chip_ward_on_the_long_marmot_goodbye>unpredictable
directions. It seems indisputable that, if we are going to weather
(literally) the punches Mother Nature throws our way, we will need to
do more than improve evacuation routes when storms hit or put more
firefighters on the line when parched lands ignite. We will also have
to reconsider how we deal with the natural world -- at present,
largely as a collection of commodities to be endlessly manipulated
for profit and convenience or as a set of touring destinations.

So think of Chip Ward's essay that follows as a challenge to just
such thinking. It might as easily have been entitled, "Why the
Organizing Principle of Industrial Civilization Is Just a Big
Misunderstanding." Taking up a recent, startling development in the
commercial world of nature -- the collapse of bee colonies across the
U.S. -- it explores ways in which our cult-like devotion to the
notion of making all things efficient has become dysfunctional, even
dangerous.

Ward, whose most recent Tomdispatch essay on the
<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174799/ward_how_the_public_library_became_heartbreak_hotel>homeless
world of the public library created a modest sensation -- he was then
just retiring as a library administrator -- is well-known in his area
as a grassroots activist working on toxic and radioactive waste
issues. His early writing, especially his book
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1859843212/nationbooks08>Canaries
on the Rim: Living Downwind in the West, focused on how to make
polluters accountable. Recently, he moved to the remote wilds of
southern Utah where he has had to cope with some of nature's
inevitable disturbances -- wildfires and flashfloods -- that have
made him think about how recovery from such disturbance happens and
how we might help recovery along (and so help ourselves as well). Tom

Diesel-Driven Bee Slums and Impotent Turkeys

The Case for Resilience
By Chip Ward

<http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174826/chip_ward_how_efficiency_maximizes_catastrophe>Click
here to read more of this dispatch.