		I'm glad to see where George Pimentel's widow is
working up a biographical website.  There's some suggestion he
avoided the A-bomb project by enlisting in the USN.  Here's my
favourite glimpse of this ace researcher & teacher.
	Note the contrast with insecure aggressive obscurities like C
H Pine who brazenly refuse to read anything from whole directions of
scholarship or from individual scientists who refuse to grovel to her
PC bullyess insolence.

			THE  IDEAS  MAN

	The 2-credit weekly phys chem grad seminar featured, one week
in 1965, one of George Pimentel's men about to graduate Ph.D (and
depart for Sandia chemical laser development).  He opened by
mentioning in passing that he'd begun his research when George was
seeking direct evidence of the methyl radical in low-pressure gases,
but then had switched to the chemical laser when George invented it.
The bulk of the seminar was about the chemical laser he'd made for
his Ph.D, but when question time came around a grad student from New
Zealand asked "Now that you've made much longer path lengths, and
other improvements to sensitivity in your spectrometer, why not renew
your search for the methyl radical?"  The speaker looked interested,
but before he could say more than a few words George jumped up from
the front row and animatedly grabbed the chalk to explore the scope
for this idea  -  renewing an old affair, one might say, thinking on
his feet.
	What struck me about this reaction was that George didn't
care from what rank the idea had emerged; it was an interesting idea
towards his research, and he pursued it immediately, in a preliminary
scoping discussion.  He cared not whether the idea had been stated by
some obscure student he'd not met.  It was the ideas, not the status
of the person through whom they happened to surface, that mattered to
George.
	I contrasted this with the verbatim record I'd previoiusly
stumbled upon in my alma mater library, I think in Proc R. S., a
formal lecture plus discussion session by Sir Christopher Kelk Ingold
(originator of a main theory on kinetics in organic solutions).
During the discussion after presentation of the paper, an obscure
undergrad had posed a question which implied - as politely as could
be  -  a  flaw in what Ingold had said.  The U. Lond. Professor's
response was largely ad hominem, suggesting that the status of the
questioner was an excuse not to deal with the question.
	I had been shocked, and not at all awed, by this attack on
the scientific search for truth in which it is the ideas that are to
contend, not the persons.  Every scientist has a first encounter with
the more complex reality of contending emotions, bully personalities
such as Crick, power-plays for funding, etc; and this had been mine,
while still doing my M.Sc.   Sad to say, I've encountered all too
many examples since returning to my homeland at the end of the 1960s
of insecure profs who never really arrived as top scientists like
George had done.  Those who have truly earned rank by peer approval
tend to be less defensive and more willing to deal with ideas rather
than personalities.  One of the privileges of studying at UCB for the
latter half of the 1960s was knowing top profs like George who
weren't trying to shore up ill-justified rank by putting down others.
Scholars like George are at ease in their positions because they know
they earned them, and they are primarily interested in ideas, not
personalities, in their contributing to science.  An ideas man like
George is rare in NZ universities.  I cherish his memory, and have
told this story countless times to illustrate the virtue of the ideas
man as against the power-player, the gender campaigner, ambitious
struggler, or mere aggressive drongo.  George Pimentel was an ideas
man.  He was also a very cordial, supportive leader of research
which, had he not devoted himself so magnificently to teaching and
other services to science, could well have won him a Nobel prize.
George was instrumental in the sharp improvement in HS chem texts  -
remember the candle on the 1963 cover?  -  in response to sputnik.  I
have always admired him more than the narrow ambitious researchers
who concentrate on their research career while contributing little to
teaching or other professional services.

			==========================

		If they've been digitized, a librarian might search
Proc R S  and Proc Faraday Soc, we might get the exact ref for that
Ingold event.  A real student might, failing that, search the
journals.  (I recommend a taste of that experience.)  The date I
can't recall more precisely than 1937-52.
	Many bullying utterances by Crick show his suppressive nature
which held up & warped mol biol for a similar period.  I'm sure most
scientists can think of their own observed cases.
	This note focusses on Geo's model conduct of research, but I
want to mention also that he was an all-round good guy who would
intone across Candlestick Park at visiting batters stepping up
against the 49ers: "cissy stick".  If you can augment the website
please get in touch:

--
L. R. B. Mann
applied ecology