Happy Independence Day! Help us make this fourth of July a
celebration of independent science, free from political interference
by voting for your favorite cartoon in
<http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2007_vote/w3exg6b4qm7we56?>Science
Idol: the Scientific Integrity Editorial Cartoon Contest.

Tell your friends, win a prize!
<http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2007_vote/forward/w3exg6b4qm7we56?>Spread
the word about Science Idol voting--get at least 5 friends to vote
and you will be entered to win a limited edition t-shirt featuring
one of the winning cartoons!

Become Our Friend
Add Science Idol to your Facebook or
<http://ucsaction.org/ct/1dLAriE15XFb/>MySpace page and meet others
who care about protecting science! You'll also be among the first to
know when the winner is announced.

The misuse of science has been getting a lot of media coverage
lately. In just the last month,
<http://ucsaction.org/ct/P1LAriE1vRD7/>Rolling Stone explored the
Bush Administration's attacks on global warming science and
scientists. <http://ucsaction.org/ct/ppLAriE1vRDI/>The New York Times
examined political pressure on prescription drug safety reviewers at
the FDA. And the <http://ucsaction.org/ct/pdLAriE1vRDO/>Washington
Post reported that Vice President Dick Cheney himself bears
responsibility for distorting scientific analysis on issues like
endangered salmon and smog pollution.

These are real issues with serious consequences. The censorship and
distortion of scientific information compromises the health and
safety of all Americans.

To combat this abuse of science, UCS called on scientists and
activists from all across the country to use their artistic freedom
to speak out against the censorship of science. They answered the
call and the results are fantastic.

These cartoonists have given us great
material--<http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2007_vote/w3exg6b4qm7we56?>Now,
it's time for you to choose the winning cartoon!

The 12 finalist cartoons will be published in our 2008 Scientific
Integrity calendar--and you can get a chance to win one just by
voting today. Once you vote, give your friends the opportunity to
win, too.
<http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2007_vote/forward/w3exg6b4qm7we56?>If
you get five friends to vote, you could win a limited edition t-shirt
featuring one of the 12 finalist cartoons!

At the end of July, the artist who drew the cartoon that receives the
most votes will win the grand prize--which includes a cash award and
a trip to Washington, DC, to have lunch with Washington Post
editorial cartoonist Tom Toles.

Voting will close on Monday, July 23, 2007, at 11:59 p.m. EST and
we'll announce our grand prize winner later that week.
<http://ucsaction.org/campaign/science_idol_2007_vote/w3exg6b4qm7we56?>You
can only vote once, so choose carefully.

Sincerely,

Michael Halpern
National Field Organizer
UCS Scientific Integrity Program

P.S. If you're a scientist, engineer, or health professional, you can
take further action to defend science by signing the
<http://ucsaction.org/ct/11LAriE15XFg/>scientist statement on
scientific integrity.