Chandler Davis wrote:
>  Smale, unlike Rubin and a lot of others, changed his
>stance without retracting his respect and friendly feelings
>toward his former comrades in the movement.

	During a lunchtime 'rally' in Sproul Plaza  -  1965 or 66,
sorry I have no exact record of date  -  another math prof, Moe
Hirsch, made a droll speech recounting that Smale had just returned
from a math confab in the USSR by ship (he apparently shunned planes
because many of his best ideas had occurred to him on ocean voyages
or on beaches).  During this voyage Smale had been slimily accosted
by somebody purporting to represent the CIA or similar, in a futile
indeed ludicrous attempt to get info which Smale would never have had
at any time, and attempting to prise it free by suggesting that the
extra cost of the boat as opposed to plane ticket had been of suspect
Commie origin.  Smale had remarked (as relayed by Hirsch) that in
future he had better get specific tagged USA foundation help for such
travel expenses, "rather than Moss-cow Gold".

RM