I don't think there should be any limitation on number of posts for this
sort of thread.  That would hinder moving forward.

----Original Message Follows----
From: herb fox <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cuba trip and AAAS session. Avoid the left ghetto error
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 15:49:21 -0400

THIS BEING MY 3RD POST IN THE LAST 24 HRS WILL BE THE LAST FOR A FEW DAYS

Dick Levins has succinctly summarized the alternative ways of participation
open to us.  Now these alternatives have to be considered from two
perspectives--(1) which best reaches out to those who have not yet developed
a critical perspective and (2)which can we really carry off.
Regarding  (1) above: There appears to be a left ghetto.  Like minded
persons hang out together, communicate with one another, participate on the
same list serves, and organize and participate in international conferences.
  Does this constitute a ghetto?  Only if it is not the prime occupation.
Moreover the left has need to instruct itself and share organizing tools,
etc.  But there has to be a balance.  Left on left activities should in my
judgment be supports for ongoing work among the unconvinced.  It is from
this perspective that i strongly suggest we orient ourselves to giving
priority to being a critical presence in the AAAS meeting as a whole, to
reaching the many who would not ordinarily go to a session of ours or stop
at our literature table (or be on our list serve).
herb

http://liveearth.msn.com