	The Wall St J article below outlines a huge neglected trend.
When I socked it to a Calif citizen, this exch was provoked:-

>  > The access street and the street in front of our house [Los
>Gatos, Ca] are falling apart with potholes for the longest time.
> Repair is based on the squeaky wheel syndrome.  You and I argue
>about what is the correct level of economic intrusion of the
>government in our lives. Moreover, entitlements are growing
>exponentially with automatic cost of living adjustments and
>expansion of programs by government

>...left AND right!!

	Now you're cooking with gas  (as W Graham used to say).  I
have maintained lo, these 3 decades, that the overarching problem is
big bureaucracies.  Capitalism & communism have both suffered from
this phenomenon  -  communism more, but now capitalism is allowing
some nasty transnational gangs undue influence.

>Recall my retort about the daily divisive issues and... "We still
>can't get the potholes fixed!!"

	If you can score some scraps of asphalt from some dig-up, and
slap them in a big drum over an LPG burner, you might fill them
yourself  -  in a gentle wind, and stand upwind of volatiles from the
hot tar.

>  I had a little sense of that in New Zealand when we were there, but
>could not determine the level of waste (or monetary diversion, if
>you will) such as exist in this country.

	An honest comparison will not be done by Ernst & Young LLC,
or by any other agency.

Am copying this little exch to a few friends concerned about the USA.
	A Princeton prof said to me in 1983 that I understand the USA
better than any other foreigner he'd met.  To that I can only add
that it's harder to understand today, as more inchoate power-plays  -
Pelosi, H Rodham, gangs of hatemongering perverts,  etc  -  shatter
the society away from any cohesive path.  And they have cowed almost
all citizens, without the inelegant brutalities of Heydrich et al
c.1932.  These are the gentle, caring Narzees!  They are so
preoccupied with ideological campaigns, affirmative action, etc, that
the crumbling of public property is of little concern to them.

-----
From:
<http://www.progressivestates.org/content/609/us-infrastructure-an-economic-disaster-waiting-to-happen>Progressive
States Network, May 10, 2007
<http://www.precaution.org/lib/07/prn_infrastructure_disaster.070510.htm>[Printer-friendly
version]

U.S. INFRASTRUCTURE: AN ECONOMIC DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN

By J. Mijin Cha

A major new
<http://www.uli.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=News&CONTENTFILEID=27598&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm>report
released this week by the Urban Land Institute
and Ernst & Young revealed shocking statistics on the state of transit
infrastructure in the U.S., including:

* 83 percent of the nation's transportation infrasturcture is not
capable of meeting the nation's needs over the next 10 years.

* 97 percent of roads, bridges and tunnels, and 88 percent of
transit/rail systems will require at least moderate improvement.

* Chicago alone needs $6 billion to bring its subways into good
repair. Rehabilitation of the Tappan Zee Bridge north of New York
City will cost as much as $14.5 billion.

* There is a $1.6 trillion deficit in needed infrastructure spending
through 2010 for repairs and maintanence.

A Threat to Economic Growth

Beyond the inconvenience of longer commute times due to poor upkeep of
roads and transit systems, these numbers signal real economic trouble.
The loss in time and productivity will slow economic growth, drive job
losses, and result in the U.S. becoming less economically competitive
globally.

Around the world, our economic competitors are investing heavily in
infrastructure to strengthen their economies, yet the U.S is spending
less than 1 percent of its GDP on infrastructure. Contrast that with
India, which spends 3.5 percent on infrastructure, or China, which
spends 9 percent of its gross domestic product on infrastructure in
its quest for economic growth.

The U.S. infrastructure neglect is not limited just to transit. In
order to comply with safe drinking water regulations, the U.S. must
spend ten times its current budget for replacing aging systems. The
power grids are also a mess and poor transmission networks are
resulting in loss of electricity and extremely inefficient power
delivery.

The False Promise of Privatization

The report emphasizes that the recent hype around privatization of
public assets like roads won't solve the problem-- and could make it
worse. Another
<http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?key=342908551&url_num=7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nashtu.us%2Fdownload%2FHighway-Robbery-II.pdf>new
report released this week, also highlights how
states have been wasting taxpayer money by outsourcing and
experimenting with other forms of privatization that have just added
to costs.

Looking Forward

There is simply no way around it -- the current level of
infrastructure investment cannot sustain current economic activity,
let alone allow our states to grow competitively in the global
economy. Any further delay investing in infrastructure will only
result in much greater physical repair costs and even greater costs
from job losses.

The first step is facing up to the need for new revenue. The reality
is that the gas tax, when adjusted to inflation, is half of what it
was in the 1960s. Road tolls aren't paying enough for overall
infrastructure upkeep and other revenues are not making up the slack.
New revenues need to be combined with better planning to reduce road
congestion and promote more efficient public transit.

>  The issue here is that the surveys show that public sector
>employees at all levels are earning about 2x the equivalent private
>sector employee

	I'd need proof before believing that.
	Just this wk the business crowd have been claiming that NZ
salaries public/private have got out of kilter.  They didn't claim
anything so implausible as 2x, but did assert the public jobs have
crept ahead.  I don't believe it.
	I too have been grappling with local-body road & footpath
'engineering'.  In my district, asphalt footpaths which had become
dangerous (mainly from tree roots cracking & bulging them) have just
been dug up and replaced with concrete.

>and have the added benefit of nearly lifetime employment.

	Decreasingly so  -   more & more are on brief contracts,
outsourced from Optis Consultants or suchlike.