http://www.counterpunch.org/martens07202007.html

July 20, 2007

CNN's Sanjay Gupta, Laura Bush and the Marketing of Merck's Gardasil

Doctoring the News

By PAM MARTENS

CNN's Chief Medical Correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, was raising
eyebrows five months before he bungled his fact-checking segment on
Michael Moore's health care documentary, "Sicko," leaving Moore and
many of CNN's viewers questioning Gupta's journalistic integrity.
Writing on his CNN blog on February 28, 2007, Dr. Gupta endorsed
Merck's controversial and scientifically challenged vaccine for girls
and young women, Gardasil, without shedding any light on the
incestuous relationship he has with Merck.

"As a doctor, and parent, I would recommend the vaccine for my
daughters. I feel the ability to protect them in any way, including
from cancer, is my primary obligation." (1)

The vaccine is being touted by Dr. Gupta, First Lady Laura Bush, and
nonprofit groups funded by Merck as a means of preventing cervical
cancer. In fact, however, its clinical trials never tested for
preventing cervical cancer. The vaccine was tested for preventing pre
cancerous lesions associated with two strains of Human Papillomavirus
(HPV), a sexually transmitted disease. Since these lesions can take
12 to 20 years to develop into cervical cancer and the clinical
trials lasted less than five years, medical experts warn that the
jury is still out on what impact this vaccine might have on cervical
cancer rates.

The results of Merck's clinical trials showed the efficacy of the
vaccine was "modest," even for preventing pre cancerous lesions,
among a general population of young women, according to the New
England Journal of Medicine. (2)

This might have been enough to kill the idea of mass inoculations
with the vaccine had Merck released its final clinical trial data to
peer reviewed journals in a timely fashion. Instead, it launched
three ad and marketing campaigns that fostered the false impression
that this vaccine had been proven to prevent cervical cancer along
with a public relations blitz that stretched from California to Paris
and involved payments to journalists. Only then, after the Food and
Drug Administration had approved the drug, the Centers for Disease
Control and Prevention had recommended it for broad use, and
questions grew in the press as to why this "miracle breakthrough" had
not been peer reviewed, did Merck finally release its late phase
trial data.

Eleven and twelve year old girls, the very target of proposed
mandatory vaccination by Merck, were never tested at all for efficacy
in pre-licensing clinical trials. Merck simply decided that the
bodies of prepubescent girls would react the same as mature women to
the vaccine. The FDA was fully aware of this when they licensed the
vaccine for potentially millions of prepubescent girls, requiring
only that post licensing studies be done for efficacy and safety on
these children after they were injected with the drug. (3)

Dr. Gupta began his on-air promotions for Gardasil eight months
before the vaccine was vetted and approved by the FDA. Here's a
segment from a "CNN Live Today" broadcast of October 6, 2005:

"GUPTA: The vaccine is called Gardasil, and Merck and Company Inc.,
the manufacturer, says it plans to apply for a license before the end
of the year. Now, if approved, this vaccine may become extremely
common, recommended to all women in their teenage years before they
become sexually active. Rose Dennis had no such option. She had to
endure a hysterectomy, chemotherapy and radiation to become cancer
free. For her, and possibly thousands of others, a vaccine would make
all the difference." (4)

Dr. Gupta continued over the ensuing months to promote Gardasil.
Here's an excerpt from the "Anderson Cooper 360 Degrees" broadcast on
June 29, 2006:

"GUPTA: Now there is a way to prevent the virus from ever taking hold
in the first place. It's a vaccine. Typically, you think of vaccines
for the measles or chicken pox. But Gardasil protects you against
cancer. Trials showed the vaccine could lower cervical cancer rates
by 70 percent." (5)

The clinical trials for Gardasil showed no such thing. (6) Even Merck
is not making this wild and unsupported claim.

On May 17, 2007, CNN aired an interview between Dr. Gupta and First
Lady Laura Bush. (7) Video Clip. The First Lady endorses mass
inoculations of children with Gardasil on the basis that it will
protect them later in life against cervical cancer. Gupta does not
challenge her on the fact that there is zero evidence that the
vaccine provides such long-term protection. The vaccine's own
researcher acknowledges this. (8)

Would any of the following information have been relevant for Dr.
Gupta or the First Lady to share with CNN viewers in discussing a
vaccine planned for mass inoculations of children: according to
Merck's SEC filing 11 days prior to this broadcast, the company is
facing a criminal investigation by the Bush administration's U.S.
Department of Justice over Vioxx marketing; a scheme that concealed
tens of thousands of heart attacks and strokes caused by its last
blockbuster drug, Vioxx. Additionally, the company reported it "has
also been named as a defendant in separate lawsuits brought by the
Attorneys General of Alaska, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Texas
and Utah. These actions allege that the Company misrepresented the
safety of Vioxx." (9)

Perhaps Dr. Gupta was reluctant to bring up the subject of Vioxx,
given his early dismissal of the dangers.

Here's how he responded to Miles O'Brien on CNN's "American Morning"
on October 30, 2003:

"Miles O'Brien: Let's talk about Vioxx. Some indication it might
increase the risk of heart attack?

"Gupta: This stat has been around since August of 2001. They talked
about the increase of heart attack with Vioxx. The numbers are very
small. Perhaps a small percentage increase in the overall risk of
heart attacks with Vioxx. They say 37 percent to 39 percent but
that's of a very small number. After 90 days, no increased risk." (10
)

It's difficult to imagine a statement more riddled with factual
inaccuracies. And where did Dr. Gupta get his information? He tells
us in the interview: "We've talked to the makers of Vioxx, the Merck
company."

The overarching issue in all of this is the dangerous and growing
tentacles of a corporate agenda that seeks to control every message
pertaining to its corporate brands in every venue visited or medium
viewed by a consumer. That includes TV and cable news. Increasingly,
corporations demand "integration" for their advertising dollars.

Dr. Gupta is part of this new wave of "integration" as co-host of a
program called AccentHealth. Here's how the AccentHealth website
explains itself: (11)

"AccentHealth is America 's #1 integrated health media company
offering advertisers multiple consumer touch points in the place
where health matters most -- the doctors office. AccentHealth's
waiting room TV network produced by CNN and hosted by CNN's Dr.
Sanjay Gupta and Robin Meade, reaches 132 million viewers annually in
185 Nielsen Markets...To complement your broadcast message, and the
consumer focused product information you can provide in our 10,800
offices, AccentHealth offers another channel into the physician's
office -- a unique fax program that can help you strengthen your
physician relationships...Reinforce product credibility through the
"Halo Effect..." How would you like to see your product on our show?
AccentHealth runs frequent on-air promotions to engage viewers and
ensure more focused viewing...Our healthy mascot "Abby Apple" has
been reminding our viewers to lead a healthy lifestyle for 4 years!
Abby can appear on-air using your product... AccentHealth is
committed to meeting your campaign expectations. With an audience of
receptive, health conscious consumers and a direct line into the
physician's office we will customize your AccentHealth initiative to
meet your specific brand goals...Use our production facilities to
create a custom message for our unique environment...Let us organize
a consumer event to coincide with your AccentHealth on-air
campaign...."

In a January 17, 2007 interview with TV Week, Greg D'Alba, Chief
Operating Officer of CNN ad sales and marketing, explained what's
driving "integration." "What's interesting is it's not about what's
new anymore, but what's becoming the norm...For every fully
integrated package that we present there is an advertiser. We're
batting 1,000 percent on that. And it's not because we're developing
it and throwing it out there and we're finding sponsors, it's because
our advertisers and our partners are requesting it, they're demanding
it." (12)

Given the incestuous nature of "integration," should Dr. Sanjay Gupta
have revealed to his CNN viewers during his extolling of the virtues
of Gardasil that its manufacturer, Merck, was a financial sponsor of
this integrated marketing scheme he co-hosts at AccentHealth? And
exactly who prepared and vetted the First Lady's whopper on Gardasil?
Should the First Lady have been commenting at all on a product from a
company under criminal investigation by the U.S. Department of
Justice? Inquiring minds not yet "integrated" want to know.

Pam Martens previously worked on Wall Street for 21 years. (She has
no stock position, long or short, in Merck or any pharmaceutical
company.) She resides in New Hampshire and writes on topics that
impact the public interest. Ms. Martens can be reached at

Notes

(1)
<http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:GEbPCptzgXEJ:www.cnn.com/HEALTH/blogs/paging.dr.gupta/2007/02/tackling-cancer-with-vaccine-is-good.html+%22sanjay+gupta%22+AND+vioxx&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=27&gl=us&ie=UTF-8>Gupta
Blog of February 28, 2007:

(2) <http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/356/19/1991>New England
Journal of Medicine Editorial:

(3) <http://www.fda.gov/cber/approvltr/hpvmer060806L.htm>FDA Approval