Everything Phil says is true. And yet it does not change the fact that each
individual fat person has to eat less if they want to be less fat. There is
no contradiction between understanding the social and political context and
stressing individual responsibility, as Claudia outlined so well in her
recent post. This goes for all kinds of addiction. While we are waiting for
capitalism to fall, we also need to deal with the here and now. To the
extent to which we ignore this side of things, and refuse to read what
others write about these aspects, we continue in our glorious isolation.

MB

PS--btw in the United States, at least, obesity is fast approaching a
cultural metaphor for the voracious swallowing up of the world's resources
by Americans. Just as Americans need to give up their SUVs, they need to
give up their Big Macs.

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter