At the risk of over posting, let me add this: I see a big difference between
a rightwinger blaming the victim and a leftwinger stressing personal
responsibility. The rightwinger does not want to see the system, and thus
the underlying causes, change. The leftwinger does. By trying to brand a
leftwinger a rightwinger or a dupe of the right whenever a leftwinger raises
the issue of personal agency, whether it be obesity or the culture of
poverty we were discussing a few days ago, the fellow leftwinger is engaging
in political correctness--especially when the "true motivations" of the
fellow leftwinger are being questioned. In my view, political correctness is
a real phenomenon on the left (we were the first to identify it, as many or
most here know, although the term was coopted by the right) and it has
caused huge damage to our cause by suppressing badly needed debate and
discussion.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter
Contributing Correspondent, Science