On 7/30/07, Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>         Iran has taken the title NZ briefly held - world leader in
> CNG technology.  Most of the NZ eqpt has now been exported to Mexico
> & Bangla Desh.
>         CNG is the cleanest fuel except hydrogen for internal
> combustion, and far easier to adapt to a petrol or diesel engine.
> CBG compressed biogas can contribute to fuelling rural transport.
>
>         A race is being organised from various outposts to Bangkok  -
> vehicles to use CNG wherever they can, but petrol for much of each
> route.  This race will probably be coming soon to a TV near you.
>
> RM
>
> P.S  I think you'll find Iran flares huge amounts of NG  -  which
> would be burnt in tandem-cycle power stations for any electricity the
> Iranian grid may require.  The nuclear electricity front is glaringly
> obviouis  -  it's A-bombs those fanatics want.  But do they count as
> People of Color, and if so must we refrain from criticising their
> warlike tendencies?

If there's any country for which CNG makes sense, that has to be Iran,
what with the second largest natural gas reserves it is said to have,

Tehran will never be able to convince those who believe that its
nuclear energy program is not for energy but for nuclear weapons, just
as Saddam Hussein could never convince that his government no longer
had WMDs.

However, for those who have not made up their minds, there are
articles that make an economic case for a nuclear energy program in
Iran.  E.g., Muhammad Sahimi, "Forced to Fuel: Iran's Nuclear Energy
Program," Energy 26.4, Winter 2005,
<http://hir.harvard.edu/articles/1294/>.

In any case, Iran, imho, is less warlike than New Zealand, which
joined the USA's Iraq and Afghanistan Wars, and the USA remains the
only country whose government has actually dropped a-bombs (on my
country, as it happened).

Iran, however, ought to advertise its wind and solar programs as much
as its nuclear program.  It will help re-brand Iran.

Iran is a member of the Global Wind Energy Council.  Cf.
<http://www.awea.org/newsroom/pdf/070202__GWEC_Global_Market_Annual_Statistics.pdf.>.
 It is ranked 30th in wind power:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Iran>.

<http://www.iran-daily.com/1385/2610/html/focus.htm>
Sat, Jul 15, 2006
Wind Power

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Iran has also started to shift its attention towards development of
alternative sources of energy supply such as wind power.

That is why the main policy of the Energy Ministry has been and still
is to support major studies and investments in modern energy supply
sources. It has in recent years conducted extensive research works to
this end and has made adequate investments in wind-generated
electricity.

The goals of renewable energy development at the Energy Ministry are:
reduction of reliance on fossil and nuclear fuels, reduction of
greenhouse gases and other emissions and establishment of more
sustainable sources of energy.

There are several important wind channels in Iran, the first blows
from northwest to south and the second blows from west to east. Harat
is also another wind tunnel that blows from Khavaf and goes
southwards.

There are several important wind channels in Iran, the first blows
from northwest to south and the second from west to east.

Wind Map

According to the head of the energy department at the Energy Ministry,
the nationwide capacity to generate electricity from wind power stands
at around 6,500 megawatts. By completing the Wind Map project, the
national potential to generate electricity from wind farms will reach
a whopping 20,000 megawatts.

Mohsen Bakhtiar noted that in order to devise the Wind Map, wind
turbines will be erected at five different points across the nation to
specifically determine which regions will best meet the requirements
for setting up wind farms and what would be the total capacity of
generating electricity through such stations.

The official pointed out that the Wind Map is a collection of data
from the existing wind currents in different regions and can be used
as reference by the Energy Ministry experts when setting up wind
farms. The first phase of the Wind Map has already been completed.
Based on international standards it will be accessible within the next
three years or so.

Bakhtiar said the chief policy of the Energy Ministry is to support
and include the private sector for developing alternative power supply
or renewable energy sources such as wind power. According to Article
62 of the State Financial Law, grounds have been paved to this end.

As per the article, electricity generated from reusable sources or
alternative sources will be bought at a price range of 450 to 650
rials per kw/h.

Bakhtiar said the Management and Planning Organization (MPO) had
allocated the necessary funds to include the private sector in the
nationwide development schemes of wind power stations.

However, the private sector hasn't started its job in this particular
project yet, he said, hoping that direct involvement of the private
sector will help generate at least 250 megawatts of electricity from
wind power.

Research works conducted on the national capacity to generate
electricity from wind power have proposed different regions for
setting up wind power stations. If the research delivers the expected
results, even Tehran will be able to meet part of its growing demand
for electricity through wind power.

Potential Regions

Based on the research works there are nine regions both in Tehran and
Qom provinces that could serve as potential sites for wind farms,
including Shahriar, Varamin, northwest of Salt Lake, certain areas in
Karaj, regions between Hashtgerd and Abyek, Robat Karim and Rahim
Abad, Pakdasht, Qom and Saveh. These places have the necessary
capacity and the means for establishing large arrays of wind turbines
on farmland.

Binaloud Wind Power Station is expected to have at least 43 wind
turbines with the help of private contractors. According to its
executive director Ali Karami, five units of the power station have
already started to generate electricity and another 15 will become
operational by the end of the year (March 20, 2007). The remaining
turbines will be set up early next year.

Karami said the energy studies have concluded that after setting up
all the turbines, wind harvested in Binaloud (more than 11,000
megawatts) will provide enough electricity to power at least 78,000
households.

The Energy Ministry has made it a top priority to come up with
alternative power supply sources in order to create various sources of
energy in all other regions. It has at the same time taken into
account the benefits of wind energy, which is an ideal renewable
energy, pollution-free, infinitely sustainable, doesn't require fuel,
doesn't create greenhouse gasses, and doesn't produce toxic or
radioactive waste.

The ministry experts argue that wind energy is also 'quiet' and does
not present any significant hazard to birds or other wildlife. In
addition, extensive studies suggest that each megawatt-hour of
electricity generated by wind energy can help reduce up to 0.9 tons of
greenhouse gas emissions that are produced by coal or diesel fuel
generation each year.

What's more, wind energy systems can provide a cushion against
electric power price increases and help reduce dependence on fossil
fuels. This is why the Energy Ministry has ratified several different
plans and laws in order to set up wind farms in potential sites to
compete with traditional sources of energy and also to create a
variety in sources of power supply that are cost-effective and
infinitely sustainable, while also preserving the environment.
--
Yoshie