See the Movie, Start the Revolution ...a letter from Michael Moore

Thursday, July 26th, 2007

Friends,

I am overwhelmed by the response to "Sicko." And I'm not just talking
about all the wonderful, heart-felt letters you've sent me and the
stories you've shared with me about the abuse you've suffered from
our health care system.

No, I'm talking about how thousands of you are taking matters into
your own hands and using the movie to do something. From Seattle to
New England, each day I learn of numerous groups holding meetings or
dinners after the movie to discuss it and to plot a course for
action. A church in Plano, TX took its weekly bible study group to
see "SiCKO." 70 people crammed into a Wisconsin coffee shop's back
room. Groups are plotting over pancakes in Illinois and microbrew in
Missouri. E-mail addresses are being exchanged in theater lobbies. A
Connecticut group is inviting legislators to see "Sicko" and keeping
a tally on their website. Local groups have been buying out theaters
to have special screenings for their members. Information tables are
set up, literature is distributed, action groups are formed.

It's all an amazing sight. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to see
the impact a movie can have. For all of you who have written me to
ask, "What can I do," well, read more about what others have done,
and then try these simple steps:

1. Call or write you member of Congress right now (I'll wait) and
tell him or her that you insist they become a co-sponsor of H.R. 676
-- "The United States National Health Insurance Act." It's sponsored
currently by Rep. John Conyers and 76 other members of Congress.
Insist that your congressperson be one of those co-sponsors. I want
to see 100 co-sponsors by Thanksgiving. Will you help make that happen?

2. Call and write to each of the candidates running for President.
Tell them you expect them to back H.R. 676, and to take the Senator
Brown pledge. Sen. Sherrod Brown of Ohio refuses to accept his free,
government-run health insurance until EVERY American is covered.

3. Organize your own local HealthCare-Now! coalition. You can do it
in your own neighborhood. It has to start somewhere. Everyday people
have to make this happen. Don't wait for someone else to do this. Ask
yourself, "if not me, who?"

4. Call your local media and tell them about your health care horror
story. Many papers and TV stations have been running these since
"Sicko" arrived in theaters. They like the local angle. Tell them you
saw the movie and that there's a "Sicko" story happening right here
in (fill in the blank). Tell them you are passing it on to me.

Well, that's a start. Here's what I'm going to do. Because last
weekend's "Win a Trip to a Universal Healthcare Country" was so
successful (the winner will be announced next week), this weekend
we're going to try something different: it's "Take a Republican to
'Sicko!'" C'mon, we all have a conservative in the family! They mean
well. It's just that they believe what they've been told about that
scary "socialized medicine." Treat them to the movie this weekend and
tell them to send me their ticket stub and entry form. I will hold a
drawing and the lucky winner will get to have me come to their home
and do their laundry -- just like in France! Now, what would make a
Republican happier than to see me working away in their laundry room?!

I truly believe that the health care issue is one where we can find
some common ground with those who may hold different opinions than
us. After all, they're getting the shaft by the same insurance and
pharmaceutical companies we are. And sooner or later, they're not
going to take it any more, either.

Yours,
Michael Moore
MichaelMoore.com

s. e. anderson (author of "The Black Holocaust for Beginners" -
Writers + Readers) + http://blackeducator.blogspot.com