THIS BEING MY 3RD POST IN THE LAST 24 HRS WILL BE THE LAST FOR A FEW DAYS

Dick Levins has succinctly summarized the alternative ways of
participation open to us.  Now these alternatives have to be considered
from two perspectives--(1) which best reaches out to those who have not
yet developed a critical perspective and (2)which can we really carry off.
Regarding  (1) above: There appears to be a left ghetto.  Like minded
persons hang out together, communicate with one another, participate on
the same list serves, and organize and participate in international
conferences.  Does this constitute a ghetto?  Only if it is not the
prime occupation.  Moreover the left has need to instruct itself and
share organizing tools, etc.  But there has to be a balance.  Left on
left activities should in my judgment be supports for ongoing work among
the unconvinced.  It is from this perspective that i strongly suggest we
orient ourselves to giving priority to being a critical presence in the
AAAS meeting as a whole, to reaching the many who would not ordinarily
go to a session of ours or stop at our literature table (or be on our
list serve).
herb