Dear all,

I'm trying to keep from mixing topics by separating out (1) comments to
general informational postings; (2) comments on & volunteering for SftP-list
guidelines; (3) possible Cuba trip; and (4) possible AAAS activity.

I'd like to say yes, yes, yes to something at the AAAS. A session (papers,
panel, or roundtable?) and an information table.  I was just looking at
their website and remembering why this low-income adjunct instructor doesn't
have an annual membership ... and Boston is $$$$$.

Personally, I don't even know which "Section" I'd best belong in.  I'm
trained as an anthropologist (MA 1983) and latterly, as a soil environmental
scientist (PhD expected '08).  But my work is through the perspectives of
'Science, Technology & Society' studies (including History, Philosophy, and
esp. Sociology & Politics of science) and broader cultural studies.    So I
could be sections O - Agriculture, Food, and Renewable
Resources<http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/organization/sections/ag.shtml>,
H - Anthropology<http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/organization/sections/anthro.shtml>,
L - History and Philosophy of
Science<http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/organization/sections/hist.shtml>
or X - Societal Impacts of Science and
Engineering.<http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/organization/sections/impacts.shtml>

Damn I envy you guys in "classic" disciplines (but look at your politics!
You're way outside the box too.)  Environmental-and-society studies go
winding through everything. Academia doesn't accommodate that very well,
although the AAAS's "Societal Impacts of Science and
Engineering<http://www.aaas.org/aboutaaas/organization/sections/impacts.shtml>"
Section looks like a nod to this new reality.   And I like the sound of
"Section X"  ...

As to approach, I do like Herb's suggestion that we go prepared with
critical questions for papers from our wide panoply of disciplines.  But per
George, Jonathan, Larry, Chuck, I'd prefer an open acknowledgment of who we
are -- Larry's suggestions for possible session topics look good to me.
"Radical Science/ Science for the People 40 Years On: Retrospect, Prospect,
Practices"?   I would sure happily contribute to something like that.  We
might invite people from ASIPI (Assoc. for Science in the Public Interest; I
went to one awesome conference of theirs in, I think, 2003; they grew out of
Sci & Env'l Health Network, SEHN) ... and also extend opportunity to the
large membership of "4S" - Society for the Social Studies of Science.
ASIPI/SEHN include many 'practitioners', govt and NGO people, whereas 4S is
assertively multi-continent but mainly academic.

Now the new question:  WHY CAN'T WE BE SFTP?  Is it still 'incorporated' or
the like? Can we found a new Chapter?  How did the European branch get
started with the same name, Herb?

We talked about this earlier in the spring: how can people sharing the
spirit & goals of SFTP be part of SftP?

What is the problem and how do we overcome it?

With great anticipation,

Claudia

Larry