One of my sons, Brian, was the first paid employee of the Free Software Foundation, Richard Stallman's creation .  Brian is the author of the GNU Bash Shell that appears everywhere especially amongGNU and LINUX users and is incorporated in the Apple OS.  It is unfortunate that the still existing rather widespread utopian concepts embodied in Stallman's "Copyleft"  never were embraced by the traditional left.  It is a lost opportunity or maybe not, as the composition of the proletariat shifts more and more to workers in IT.  In Marxian terms i see that movement as a struggle against alienated labor.  Incidentally Stallman is the recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship.  I encourage any of you expecting to publish a book or manual check out the Copyleft.  It can be used for books also.
herb

Michael H Goldhaber wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">I hope its plain that (a) Barbrook wrote what Phil is quoting, not I, and (b) that even he was not putting forth his own position in that quote, but trying to explain the views of those who loved McLuhan at the time.

Best,

Michael