herb fox wrote:

> Moreover the left has need to instruct itself and
> share organizing tools, etc.  But there has to be a balance.  Left on
> left activities should in my judgment be supports for ongoing work among
> the unconvinced.

At any time there is a population (very large now I think) who in a
passive way and at a general level already agree with us on one or more
issues -- the war, undocumented immingrants, abortion, medical care,
etc. I think it is at this sector of the population that outreach is or
should be aimed. People do change their opinions, but not usually
because someone has searched them out to persuade them. Thus it is
rather futile, for example, to organize anti-war work around attempting
to persuade supporters of the war (unlikely however one tries) rather
than spending the thought and energy to reach and involve actively more
of those who (at an opinion poll level) already oppose the war merely
passively or as voters.

Carrol Cox