I patiently disciplined myself as i scanned the posted review to avoid
reacting to Prof. Tetlock's vitae:

            "

"By avocation?"  How does he make his living?

Then i came upon the disciplines covered :  "[advanced ]

Upon which i concluded that the book's thesis is trivial.  None of these
disciplines is a natural science, that is, a category of knowledge
concerned with uncovering the natural laws that govern the relationship
among elements of the category and their evolution in time and space (in
the general sense).  They /may/ use scientific method (they should) in
evaluating the category, but without natural laws no long-term
prediction is possible and short-term predictions generally have large
uncertainties.  Do not assume that i am denigrating the usefulness of
any of these disciplines under appropriate circumstances.  Not at all, i
am simply pointing out that to say that "experts" in these field have no
success in predicting is a no-brainer.

In addition the content of these disciplines is about social entities,
groups of people, the rules they make or which appear to guide their
actions and interactions, their interaction with natural events, and the
outcomes and impacts of these.  Consequently the content is culturally
determined and its evaluation strongly influenced by the existing power
structures.  Most practitioners in these disciplines are biased toward
the hegemonic institutions of necessity (if they wish to remain
employed).  Prof Tetlock may be a maverick, but his employment at a
school of business "in the relatively young field of political
psychology" does lead me to be interested in what he teaches the
students, how it fits into the mission of the business school and if he
is for hire to suggest to political candidates how they can psych out
the electorate in order to manipulate them into supporting their
candidacy.  I do know that psychologists in business schools generally
teach marketing, how to con people into believing they need a second
family car for example, or a medication with potentially
life-threatening contra-indications, etc.

As for /Science/'s book reviews editor, she should have recognized that
Jost's review is poor.  One seeks in a book review some insight into the
content and the context of the writing.  This review is a bit weak on
the critical perception side, i'd say.  But then Jost is no neutral (no
one is), to wit "

                    "

Ah, salvation!  /scientific psychology of judgment and decision making
/is going to correct for the many failings of rabbits and cows!

As for Balter's rule,  I am confident, that had Prof Tetlock interviewed
scientists (practitioners in disciplines for which there are objective
laws with reasonable stability over time and space) his statistics would
have been quite different.  I do not deny that generalizations by
scientists do not offer a stellar record of successful predictions
especially when they speak out of their disciplines or try to make
technological predictions that invariably depend on socio-economic
conditions (Recall how Dyson recently soiled himself and how that
skilled ant collector invented Sociobiology).  Maybe Michael you could
modify Balter's rule slightly:   /The moment that an expert scientist
says that something outside the core body of her discipline or a
non-science expert says anything cannot or will not happen, it becomes,
at that very instant, absolutely inevitable that it actually will
happen. /Since the tongue was firmly in your cheek in the first place,
it is /absolutely inevitable /that both this version and the original
are wrong!

Regarding the merit of the post.  I believe that had you posted a
critical view and offered this as a further manifestation of the trend
to new disciplines which  /de facto /(note no conspiracy, no agent)/
/serve to rationalize capitalism, a vibrant discussion may have
resulted.  This brings to mind a generalization that may be true: a
reasonable indicator of the value of posting an article is how extensive
a thread results.  Maybe my blah blah here will provoke commentary and
thereby validate the post.  Maybe, maybe not.  Only the email god knows
how many on this list-serve have already filtered out our blah-blahs.

herb

PS  Now that you've cleared off your desk, would you come by my house
and clear off mine.  It's a mess.