Well Herb, all I can say is thanks for giving the thread a running start!

Regarding the merit of the post.  I believe that had you posted a critical view and offered this as a further manifestation of the trend to new disciplines which  de facto (note no conspiracy, no agent) serve to rationalize capitalism, a vibrant discussion may have resulted.  This brings to mind a generalization that may be true: a reasonable indicator of the value of posting an article is how extensive a thread results.  Maybe my blah blah here will provoke commentary and thereby validate the post.  Maybe, maybe not.  Only the email god knows how many on this list-serve have already filtered out our blah-blahs.

herb

PS  Now that you've cleared off your desk, would you come by my house and clear off mine.  It's a mess.

Michael Balter wrote:
Shortly after George's most recent post, while cleaning off my work desk, I came across the attached book review in Science which I had saved. Although the book reviewed deals mostly with alleged expertise in the social sciences, I think it applies to the sciences as well, which is why I had saved it. It is also yet another illustration of Balter's Rule, which is usually formulated as follows: The moment that an expert on any subject says that something cannot or will not happen, it becomes, at that very instant, absolutely inevitable that it actually will happen.

cheers, Michael

--
www.michaelbalter.com

Michael Balter