This post brings to mind an experience when i first began to teach high
school.  I was 55-56 and had spent the previous 10 years as a machinist
at GE.  An injury had made it impossible for me to continue there where
i produced good parts and rarely messed one up.  When i did i felt lousy
for a few days.  So when i began teaching i came to realize it was a
different game.  I had little way of determining how well i was doing,
for the products i was producing were not aircraft or turbine parts but
critical thinking human beings.  I had no way of knowing how they turned
out because the "production process" took several years.  The second
year an article appeared in the town newspaper that involved an
interview with a just-graduated student.  This student praised me saying
that i had made a big difference in his life.  I was as puffed up as a
bullfrog.  Then i thought: "As a machinist i made maybe 200 parts and
fucked-up one and was miserable.  Now 160 students pass through my
classes in two years and just one says something complimentary and i'm
as happy as a pig in shit."  Go figure.  herb