2 points:
Eric,
In your original remarks re the digital divide, you replied to a 14-
year-old's assertion that computers are "high-income," not "low-
income." I don't think these terms should be taken literally. People
who feel helplessly poor feel deprived of dignity and equality as
well as materially. After all, materially, many poor in this country
today may be better off than many nobles were in the middle ages, but
relative to their age cohort in the US today, they are beaten down in
many ways, and with each passing year it gets worse.

As to your quote of Herb, I don't recall what he said originally, but
there are other choices besides pontificating and community action.
In many cases I have seen, community action becomes a feel-good
activity that cannot change much. Over the last forty years the right
in this country and to some degree the center have pontificated
endlessly about the glories of the free market, etc. They have
established numerous think tanks to spread and elaborate on their
gospel. The left, by contrast, has either retreated to academic post-
modern posturing or plunged headlong into community action, while
disdaining any clear thinking about what alternatives are possible or
desirable now, or even how best to make use of what energies for
activism we might have.

Twenty-five years ago, I testified before then Congressman Al Gore on
the desriability of developing a govenrment program to provide
computers in Africa. The prevailing view then was "they don't need
them; they need  more 'basic' aid." So today Africa is still poorer
and has only 4% internet penetration. I thought then, and I think now
that the prevailing view on the matter was supremely patronizing. The
US government, among others, eagerly supplies Africa with weapons,
but not with Internet infrastructure.

In general, we should favor that poor communities be the first, not
the last, in line for innovations that can possibly help in
connection or knowledge. That is one main hope for ending inequality.

Best,
Michael