In my experience, Slate is especially full of highly tendentious
moderately right-wing arguments and positions. It may not be the
National Review, but it's close. As for Satel (an anagram for Slate,
incidentally, or is it vice versa) her extremely tendentious right-
wing takes  on all matters relating to mental health cloud far too
much journalistic space. Her view is basically that most people just
need a good swift kick in the pants rather than any kind of caring or
sympathy, and that is especially true if they are poor, of course.
This view precedes any particular case or evidence. It is a specimen
case of knee-jerkiness.

Best,
Michael