I obviously haven't had a chance to read Hind's
book yet, and it certainly looks interesting, but
unless the publisher's blurb is misleading
(certainly quite possible), it seems to greatly
oversimplify the complex legacies of the
Enlightenment. Just two quick points.

(1) While I would agree that people like Hitchens
and Amis violate the values of much Enlightenment
thought, some major Enlightenment figures
defended slavery and colonialism.

(2) Jonathan Israel has argued (pretty
conclusively, to my mind) in two brilliant books
(Radical Enlightenment and Enlightenment
Contested), that there were two very distinct
currents of Enlightenment thought--a moderate one
(associated with Locke, Newton, Voltaire, etc.)
and a radical one (stemming from Spinoza). The
radical current championed not just science, but
materialism, radical republicanism and, yes,
militant atheism. (It is debatable, to say the
least, whether Spinoza embraced materialism or
atheism, but that is how his works were
interpreted by critics and sympathizers alike,
and defenders of radical Enlightenment ideas were
typically referred to as 'Spinozists.) Israel's
books chart the complicated relationship between
these two strands of Enlightenment thought.

I agree that the biggest threats to reason
"reside in our state and corporate
bureaucracies," but that doesn't mean that
religious fundamentalisms don't also pose a
threat (frequently because they are allied in
contradictory ways with state and corporate
elites).

--PG