	Jeffrey M. Smith 'Genetic Roulette  -  the documented health
risks of genetically engineered foods'  329+pp hardback, 2007  Yes!
Books    P O Box 469  Fairfield Iowa

reviewed by L R B Mann

	This is the best book on GM-food - as Prof Samuel S Epstein
puts it on the cover, "the most comprehensive, well-documented and
highly readable exposť on the serious health dangers of GM foods".
Over 300 pp, near-A4, attractively laid out like a textbook, cover
the subject more thoroughly than has been done previously, and
persuasively.

	The first half of the book is brilliantly laid out.  Each
opening consists of the L page with a highlighted relevant quote and
a few conclusions in large type, based on the details on the other p.
For instance, pp.60-61 'A GM food suplement killed about 100 people
and caused 5,000 - 10,000 to fall sick', tells what would be known in
a democracy about the novel illness EMS caused by L-tryptophan mfd
1984-89 by Showa Denko, the only mfr to use GM-bacilli to increase
yield (I would not concede Smith's 'more economically').  The page of
small print states key details  -  probably the last round of small
changes before the facts become widely standardised  -  unref'd 'CDC
officials' stating the numbers in the Headline, which are indeed as
indicated by the scholarly literature.
	In 2002 Nature Biotek printed the briefest summary of the EMS
disaster (within The Schubert Letter).  That jnl responded with a
letter from leading DNA-wankers Roger Beachy, Wayne Parrott etc
purporting to deny the main facts. I doubt they'll do that a
half-decade later, notwithstanding the refusal of leading medical
jnls to publish a scholarly account of the GM-tryptophan disaster.
The Eichelbaum travesty also misrepresented this important disaster.
Smith's account is right.  Now let's see whether any govts take
notice.

	One obvious weakness is the near-absence of diagrams.  Some
of the concepts entailed in GM are best explained with the help of
diagrams, so it is a surprise to see so few.  Perhaps a future
edition can add more.

  	I'm listed in the index with the same number of quotes  -  5
-  as Prof Jack Heinemann of our other island.  I'm flattered, as
Jack is an involved practitioner whereas I'm no longer at the bench
-  indeed, Smith's habit of identifying me as 'University of
Auckland', without my prior knowledge let alone permission, may annoy
some at that institution whence I retired many y ago.  But I don't
expect any direct complaints about the quotes.  Perhaps my favourite
has a page of its own starting the 5-openings Section 6 on the theme
'GM crops may increase environmental toxins and bioaccumulate toxins
in the food chain': from my statement to the supreme court of India:
		The gene-manipulators claim they can foresee the
evolutionary results of their artificial transposings of human genes
into sheep, bovine genes into tomatoes, altered bacterial genes into
eggplant, etc.  But such claims are a reflection more of arrogance
than of scientific analysis.

	In Sep 2000 I lectured the Ak branch of the RSNZ, mentioning
inter alia:
		The depraved trade of mercenary deception, commonly
called PR, has enormous influence in the suppression and distortion
of information about GM.  It is easy to predict the reactions to
Genetic Roulette of the PR agents who still exert for Monsanto etc a
near-stranglehold on public utterances about GM:
first ignore, pretending the book doesn't exist;
then, if praise emerges (as it did for Rachel Carson from Pres.
Kennedy), vilify the author.  There are tiny errors  -  far fewer
than in many more prestigious works lately  -  and the PR agents will
wildly exaggerate pecadilloes in attempt to invalidate the whole
message.  It's an old deceitful game.  I doubt it will work on this
book which is generally well referenced and fair.

	Smith is himself a capable marketer.  The first 4 pp. before
the title p. in this new book are endorsements from D T Suzuki,
Epstein, Pusztai, and many celebrities.  The cover mentions
www.GeneticRoulette.com/  -  could be cheaper than your bookshop ?
...   The final page plugs 'More products by Jeffrey M. Smith'  -
viz.  4 books.
	One dimension of PR strife not yet tried on is implied by
that address Fairfield, Iowa  -  HQ of the most vigorous Hare Krishna
sect, Maharishi U of Management.  To me as a Christian it's
embarrassing that such feeble opposition to GM has yet emerged from
the Church, and more effective, reliable opposition has, to date,
emanated from this sect. Affiliated there is the brilliant John
Fagan, a reliable source of science on the Showa Denko GM-tryptophan,
and provider of a valuable commercial service of GM-food assays in
the range (e.g 0.1%) of contamination that is still (contrary to the
hopes of Monsanto etc) causing strenuous objections & consumer
resistance.  Fagan has not been used by the NZ Govt during any of the
long-drawn-out unintelligible PR-stunts around alleged low-level
GM-contamination of maize, diabolically designed to annoy the public
with questions they could not understand let alone resolve.
    The effect, and I'm sure the purpose, of these media stunts has
been to convince most citizens that GM-food is a hopelessly
incomprehensible issue, so they shrug their shoulders and leave it to
expensive corrupt rubber-stamp agencies ERMA, ANZFA, etc.  As one
election campaign was warming up with some publicity for the Green
party's opposition to GM-food and to uncontained GMOs generally, a
suspiciously complete dossier on some at most marginally
GM-contaminated maize was 'leaked' to a long-time campaigner against
the PR trade, N Hager.  The media gave a lot of airtime, but little
clarity, to govt denials, cover-ups etc; but no clear picture ever
emerged on the measurements, let alone their significance.  The whole
flurry was emotive, uninformative, and infuriating to most.  Green
support dropped from 10% to 5.2% by the time of the election.  Absent
reliable info such as Smith now makes available, people recoil from
GM as incomprehensible, and resent being bothered by it.
	The question now is whether the media will start to tell the
truth about GM.  A monster wasting $10^11 gathers some momentum, even
when almost all the corporations "doing" it have yet to win a dollar
of revenue, let alone net a profit.  Media that have no advertising
revenue from such corporations with nothing to sell should surely be
less credulous about the lies on which GM depends.  Let the media get
Smith's Genetic Roulette, and face up to this danger rather than
continuing to propagandise for it.