On 7/14/07, Michael H Goldhaber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I think this is worthy of discussion. In particular, my own expeereince
> suggests there is a difference in the way scientists and engineers are
> taught. Engineering  students seem often to be actively discouraged from
> asking why. Perhaps this is also true of some medical education.
> In my admittedly anecdotal experience also, engineers are
> far more likely to accept and promulgate dogma of any kind: Jerry Falwell;
> Menachem Schneerson (Late world leader of Lubavitcher Hasids) etc. Some US
> CP members too.
> Best,
> Michael
>
> Radicalism Among Muslim Professionals Worries Many
> By HASSAN M. FATTAH
>
> DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, July 13  They were some of the best and
> brightest in the Muslim world who toiled for years to master their
> knowledge. Now they stand accused of seeking mass murder.
>
> For weeks, commentators and analysts in the Muslim world have been grappling
> with the implications that a Muslim doctor and engineer, at the pinnacle of
> their society, may have been behind the failed car bombings in London and
> Glasgow last month.

At all points of the political spectrum (left, right, or center,
radical or moderate), in any school of ideology (liberalism,
communism, secular nationalism, Islamism, etc.), leadership has tended
to come from upper classes, and those that challenge the existing
social and political order have tended to come from petit-bourgeois
professionals: lawyers (Lenin), doctors (Che), military officers
(Chavez).  No surprise there.  Proletarians below them have little
time to educate themselves and generally lack resources to get
involved in politics full-time.
--
Yoshie